News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Metroplexing with Darkstar (Part I)

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is my journey to the last of the great red states!

As a few of you may know already, I have a dirty dark secret, but I'm going to let the rest of you know now too. Here it is...I've long been obsessed by the TV show "Dallas" and couldn't resist the temptation to celebrate the show's 30th Anniversary in style at Southfork Ranch with many of the living cast members. So, yes, that is why I took a trip to Dallas.

However, I also used the opportunity to use a few extra vacation days to further check out the (somewhat interesting) Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

I'll keep the "Dallas" pics to a minimum and focus more on the city. This will be a multi-parter. So y'all sit back and enjoy!

Day #1 - Shortly after arriving at DFW I grabbed the rental car and headed downtown. I found a parking spot close to the Greyhound station (near Dealey Plaza).
DSCN5808.jpg

The Philip Johnson-designed J.F.K. Memorial Plaza is in downtown Dallas a few hundred metres from Dealey Plaza. The memorial's design has been fairly controversial since its opening in 1970.
DSCN5810.jpg

J.F.K. Memorial Plaza (cont.)
DSCN5812.jpg

J.F.K. Memorial Plaza (cont.)
DSCN5814.jpg

The Old Red Museum sits on Dealey Plaza (next to the J.F.K. Memorial) and is an old court house that has basically been turned into the museum of all things Dallas. The Romanesque style reminded me much of Toronto's "Old City Hall," both inside and out.
DSCN5815A.jpg

Inside the Old Red Museum sits the original Pegasus (symbolizing Exxon Oil) that sat atop Dallas' Magnolia Building and became a symbol of the city. A newer version still graces the Magnolia Building to this day.
DSCN5816.jpg

A skyline view from Old Red.
For "Dallas" fans, that's Ewing Oil #3 on the left and Valentine's Lingerie next to it. On the right was the building that housed J.R.E. Industries (in the last season) and immediately next to it on its left is the Ewing Oil #2 (where J.R. was famously shot).

DSCN5818.jpg

J.F.K. Memorial Plaza from above.
For "Dallas" fans, the older building just beyond it was the original Wentworth Tool & Dye.

DSCN5819.jpg

Inside one of Old Red's restored court rooms.
DSCN5820.jpg

Old Red's neighbour.
DSCN5821.jpg

Inside Old Red.
DSCN5824.jpg

Dealey Plaza (from Old Red).
(Some of the plaza is currently under construction)

DSCN5827.jpg

Inside Old Red.
DSCN5829.jpg

The Dallas museum inside Old Red features everything you could ever want to know about the city.
This was Dallas' short-lived version of The New Yorker (magazine).

DSCN5830.jpg

J.R. Ewing's stetson!
DSCN5832.jpg

For "Dallas" fans the museum also features the script of the "Barbeque" episode from the 1978 miniseries. I wanted to open it and see if they actually wrote-in Digger Barnes drunkenly singing the "Yellow Rose of Texas," but I decided to continue letting the glass separate me from it.
DSCN5833.jpg

I knew I was in Texas when I cam across this at the entrance to the Old Red Museum.
DSCN5834.jpg

Dallas skyline.
DSCN5835.jpg

Dallas traffic signals that were used throughout the downtown.
DSCN5836.jpg

Dallas' Union Station offers DART (light rail), AMTRAK (intercity) and Trinity Railway Express (commuter rail to Fort Worth) services.
DSCN5837.jpg

Union Station (cont.)
DSCN5838.jpg

The front lawn of Union Station. Not nearly as busy as the continent's other great "Union Stations."
DSCN5839.jpg

A DART train pulling into Union.
I would assume the station once had a large indoor train shed, but that it was knocked down at some point.

DSCN5840.jpg

An AMTRAK train at Union.
DSCN5841.jpg

Reunion Tower (closed for renos) and the Hyatt-Regency Dallas.
DSCN5842.jpg

Inside Union Station. Quite depressing to be honest...and super empty! This was a Wednesday afternoon!
DSCN5843.jpg

The Dallas Morning News.
DSCN5844.jpg

Old Red from another angle.
DSCN5845.jpg

Then it was over to Dealey Plaza and the infamous Grassy Knoll where many (who don't believe the single gunman theory) believe a second assailant also shot Kennedy from around here.
DSCN5846.jpg

Dealey Plaza, Reunion Tower, Hyatt Regency.
DSCN5848.jpg

The Texas School Book Depository (now the Dallas County Administration Building) is where it is believed that Lee Harvey Oswald shot J.F.K. from a 6th floor window. It now also houses the excellent Sixth Floor Museum (dedicated to the life of J.F.K. and his assassination). No photography was allowed in the museum though.
DSCN5850.jpg

See that X on the road?
DSCN5851.jpg

X marks the spot where Kennedy was fatally shot!
DSCN5852.jpg

The Grassy Knoll (cont.)
DSCN5853.jpg

Dallas' tallest - the Bank of America Plaza at night.
DSCN5854.jpg

Day #2 - I also started downtown and parked closed to the "Arts District" as that was my destination for most of the day.
DSCN5856.jpg

Some downtown shots....
DSCN5857.jpg

DSCN5858.jpg

DSCN5859.jpg

Pacific Avenue is a DART-LRT transit mall for much of its downtown length.
DSCN5860.jpg

As I headed over to the arts district the tri-level building that supposedly housed the "Oil Barrons Club" in the TV-show Dallas came into view.
DSCN5862.jpg

I really wanted to go up and have Dora Mae greet me and Casey prepare me a bourbon & branch, but reality kept me in check.
DSCN5863.jpg

Downtown Dallas is honestly quite nice. It's clean, but incredibly sterile and you are left with the feeling of "where is everyone?" You can be standing in the middle of one of the largest CBD's in the South, yet it still feels like nobody is around. This was taken on a Thursday morning around 10:00 for the record.
DSCN5864.jpg

Continued in Part II...

Last edited:
Good Dallas,Texas pics!

DK416: Good pics of Dallas here! I have been to Dallas twice-on my first trip in Summer 1987 I remember visiting Dealey Plaza and going to the top of the Reunion Tower among other things. My first visit was before the DART LRT system and the TRE commuter rail were constructed and I also went into Dallas Union Station which I believe was even quieter then. LI MIKE

Fountain Place (left) and Bank of America Plaza (right) are both so elegant and stand dignified amongst the other garbage cluttering up downtown Dallas...

DSCN5818.jpg

Downtown Dallas is honestly quite nice. It's clean, but incredibly sterile and you are left with the feeling of "where is everyone?" You can be standing in the middle of one of the largest CBD's in the South, yet it still feels like nobody is around. This was taken on a Thursday morning around 10:00 for the record.
DSCN5864.jpg

...and that's how they like it down south.

I wonder how long Texas can withstand the cleanliness, because once the cash from big oil stops rolling through Texas I assume a lot of its original wealth will be gone. But that time and day is unpredictable. And we all know what happens in an American town once the boom is gone... It usually ends up like Detroit.

Back