Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
$29 Billion Transit Plan Promises Regional Rail for GTHA
ALSO

Thread: Bus Seats Redesign??

Hybrid View

Question Bus Seats Redesign??

I was coming back from getting a new passport from the Passport Canada Office the other day. It was a complete pain in the ass. Bu that's not important right now. On the way back I got into a Mississauga Transit bus, it was one of the new articulated New Flyers with the curvy front. I got in, and all the seats looked different. They were less plushy, but MUCH more anatomical, and were VERY comfortable. The back was also a bit taller. Oh, and all the upholstery had this funky blue design with different coloured squiggles. Is this their new seating and colour scheme?? I hope so, the seats were very very comfortable , and the design is a HUGE improvement over the cold brown seats from before.

I also saw these kinds of seats, of course in TTC colours, on my route, 49, a few months ago. But I haven't seen those seats anywhere else since.

By the way, the bus was on route 26 Burnhamthorpe.

I was also wondering if they might add these types of seats on the subway.

These seats also seem to allow more room for the knees as well.

It looks like this, only the seats are blue with multi-coloured squiggles and circles. Looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPKg7FxXpP4

Quote Originally Posted by jks View Post
    It looks like this, only the seats are blue with multi-coloured squiggles and circles. Looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPKg7FxXpP4
    Oh no! That's the Mississauga Muse! She's been missing around these parts for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by khristopher View Post
    Oh no! That's the Mississauga Muse! She's been missing around these parts for a while.
    I believe that bus is history as it had break fire not to long ago and did a number on it.

Everyone is still trying find out what cause the problem as it will determine who picks up the cost of either fixing it or replacing it considering it was only 7 months old. This is assuming the bus can be repair and I don't think so.

Saw the Muse in Nov and nice video.

I do like the new seats on the 800's and 900's that have good leg room. Better than the brown stuff as well TTC'.
    Last edited by drum118; 2008-Dec-31 at 16:30.

I like the look of the elongated back. One of my main complaints with the TTC's current seats is that there is no upper back support at all. I'm not even a tall person, so I shudder to think what the experience is like for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
    These seats also seem to allow more room for the knees as well.
    Yes! This is my favourite part about these seats as well. There's a few TTC buses around with these seats (like many TTC new things, it's a "pilot" project). They are generally superior seats.

I think most of the MT 2008s have these seats.

8. Default

The TTC has (or had) only one bus like this. It was to test whether these seats would provide more legroom, especially at the back.

Ultimately, they decided to keep the old seats and take out 2 from the back for their new hybrids.

Shame cuz these seats sorta do look sexy :P

9. Default

That is certainly a nice design, Here's some more pics Ryan Flores took

I thought the seat arrangement at the back had been changed? I really hate those 4 raised seats at the back. The TTC has the worst buses. I honestly would never use transit if I had to ride the Orion VII every day. Luckily I live in Mississauga.

Quote Originally Posted by doady View Post
    I thought the seat arrangement at the back had been changed? I really hate those 4 raised seats at the back. The TTC has the worst buses. I honestly would never use transit if I had to ride the Orion VII every day. Luckily I live in Mississauga.
    The new buses have the seating arangement changed with the three perimeter seats on either side at the rear. The photos above were taken on one of the slightly older buses that has different type of seats (only one bus has them).
    Flickr page - main focus on public transportation