817     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Globe: Guild Inn nearly gutted by fire

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081226.TORBRIEFS26-2/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/

Historic east-end mansion nearly gutted by fire

AMANDA TRUSCOTT

December 26, 2008

A historic building in Scarborough is half-gutted by flames after a fire early yesterday morning.

The damage to the Guild Inn - a mansion built in 1914 that served during the Second World War as a women's training base and a hospital for victims of shell shock - could be irreparable, Captain Mike Strapko of the Toronto Fire Department said. The cause of the fire has not been determined, but it is not considered suspicious, he said. The building had been undergoing renovations, and asbestos removal crews had been doing work there the day before.

According to the Star and other sources, it was the garage building that was gutted; but damage to the main building was minimal at best. (Yet a lot of the headlines still read "Guild Inn gutted", as if it were the whole place.)

This is my first post here as I just joined, and saw this thread. Wanted to share these with you. I hope that is o.k
I live in the Guild area and shot a few photos of the aftermath of the fire.
This was shot in the summer.
447175197_fbmNR-M.jpg

I shot this of the fire damage.
447175219_3veMH-M.jpg

447175254_U4vWH-M.jpg

When I heard about the fire, I was thinking it was the main building, or that meeting building on the west side in the forest.
This is the main building as of New Years day.
448503833_qaMRN-L.jpg

I noticed in the summer too, that one of the monuments that was in storage suddenly re-appeared and another went missing. I think they are working on them as well. :)

The impetus of bringing this thread back to life is an article in The Sun "Residents fuming over tree massacre in Scarborough"....Dynamic Hospitality and Entertainment have been given an RFP to redevelop the Guild Inn....I'm curious to know if anyone has any insight to the tree removal with a view to the redevelopment....See 2013GM23.11...RFP0613-13-0067..and what is the reason for the "Confidential Attachment"?

Last edited:
The impetus of bringing this thread back to life is an article in The Sun "Residents fuming over tree massacre in Scarborough"....Dynamic Hospitality and Entertainment have been given an RFP to redevelop the Guild Inn....I'm curious to know if anyone has any insight to the tree removal with a view to the redevelopment....See 2013GM23.11...RFP0613-13-0067..and what is the reason for the "Confidential Attachment"?

I noticed that slaughter the other day while walking by. There are trees littered in the parking lot to the east of the Guild. I originally thought it was the clean up from the ice storm, but it sure looks like something is up there.

I found this link
http://www.paulainslie.com/Paul-Ainslie-Guild.html

Last edited:

Back