Toronto 32 Camden | ?m | 12s | Sorbara | Core Architects

BobBob

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ran into this interesting looking project which I don't believe has been mentioned here: http://www.sorbaradevelopmentgroup.com/condo_camden.html

32camden_rendering.jpg

The project seems to be in preliminary planning.

Here is some info from Adam Vaughan's site:

32 Camden Street
Developer: Sorbara Group
Architect: Core Architects
Building Type: Residential/Live-Work

Height: 34.95m
Stories: 10s
Number of Units: 64 Units
Number of 3br Units: 10 Units

Notes:
This project is a 10-storey live-work building that would be located next to another Sorbara Group development at 42 Camden Street. The plan is for a cantilevered frontage with a decorative steel screen that would be hung on the front façade of the building, which would rust and weather over time to provide an organic look to the building, and also act as a cooling system.

Wow, looks great! I have heard rumors of this project for awhile now.. I hope this gets built given the current economic conditions. I live on Camden st. and this will be a great addition to the street!

Lovely looking. Camden Street has been blessed with the Camden Lofts, and the Zen Lofts, this would be a nice addition. Even a clunker like the Sylvia Lofts is better than many elsewhere in the city.

Definitely a great addition to that street. I really love Camden because it is still one of those side streets in the King West core that tends to be quieter and less traffic.

I wish Toronto had more of these small-scale condo developments. As I got home last night from my 5.5 hour walk along Dundas West/Kensington Market/Queen West and up Roncevalles, I was annoyed to find only one elevator working in my building. In a 16 story building that is slightly tolerable--imagine getting home from an exhausting day at work only to discover your $1 million penthouse at the 55th floor is only reachable by one working elevator? Which is why I prefer these smaller buildings. Add in the fact you're sharing a building with only 100 possibly annoying people, versus 500 or so in a 50 story highrise, and you've got a winner here! Go Camden go!

This is the type of buildings that should be built in King West. Freed was doing well with 66 portland, 20 Stewart, 455 Adelaide,all of them with less than 100 units each, but now he preferred a 12 storeys building with more than 300 units and even worst, more than 200 units are bachelors and studios under 500 sq ft. that's sad, money, money, money......

I wish Toronto had more of these small-scale condo developments. As I got home last night from my 5.5 hour walk along Dundas West/Kensington Market/Queen West and up Roncevalles, I was annoyed to find only one elevator working in my building. In a 16 story building that is slightly tolerable--imagine getting home from an exhausting day at work only to discover your $1 million penthouse at the 55th floor is only reachable by one working elevator? Which is why I prefer these smaller buildings. Add in the fact you're sharing a building with only 100 possibly annoying people, versus 500 or so in a 50 story highrise, and you've got a winner here! Go Camden go!

That's funny... about a week ago, my building only had 1 opperable building. I waited about 25 minutes to get to my unit. I felt sorry for the people on the 44th floor lol. I personally like smaller buildings...but towers have a special place in my heart as well.

This is the type of buildings that should be built in King West. Freed was doing well with 66 portland, 20 Stewart, 455 Adelaide,all of them with less than 100 units each, but now he preferred a 12 storeys building with more than 300 units and even worst, more than 200 units are bachelors and studios under 500 sq ft. that's sad, money, money, money......

You're absolutely right.

It includes existing 2 story brick building at 32 Camden and the parking lot beside it, judging by a quick google streetview look.

Looks like there's room for at least 5 more similar-sized developments on Camden alone--good for around 500 units. Another Stewart St in the making. (Only due to good location off Spadina, include retail units.)

Last edited:
"Definitely a great addition to that street. I really love Camden because it is still one of those side streets in the King West core that tends to be quieter and less traffic. "
so do we, who live there; except we wish some of these little buildings and businesses would stay. that's what attracted us ten years ago. now we're looking at another Stewart St., or if you go back further in time, Merton St. - disasters both of them!
and with 11 storeys this building will have four more floors than Camdenlofts across the street.

Back