News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Asian Financial Crisis Architectural Victims

wannabeplanner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hopefully our skyline won't be dotted with half built buildings like this...

Picture070.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Hopefully our skyline won't be dotted with half built buildings like this...

Picture070.jpg

Picture126.jpg

The top one looks like the concrete structure was completed but probably missing mechanicals. What a shame to have it almost done and neglected. Could have been used for affordable housing.

The bottom one has weeds growing out of the concrete floors ... :-O

I agree with you comment on the first one cdr108... and that structure looks pretty good to me too, it appears to have been designed for some sort of 'ritzy' looking development .... too bad

Hopefully our skyline won't be dotted with half built buildings like this

I don't know. Ruins are pretty cool. And, Bangkok is one of the coolest.

I don't know. Ruins are pretty cool. And, Bangkok is one of the coolest.

Yup, you guessed it! I snapped that pic while I was in Bangkok this summer. The city is dotted with these half built buildings, victim of the Asian Financial Crisis in the late 90's... I think sooner or later all those buildings will have to be demolished.. Too bad...

BTW, the top and bottom pics are of the same building.

I'm not versed in construction so this may sound stupid.

Since those building skeletons are there since the Asian Financial Crisis of the 90's, is there any way a developer/gov't could still complete the mechanicals and skin?

It looks structurally sound.
Hell, they must be since it's been standing there for a decade.
The enviromentalist in me hates to see them demolished and have all that waste go to landfill; and I'm sure Bangkok could use more housing stock.

The bottom one is in Bangkok on the Skytrain path .... passed it probably 100 times :p With all the buildings they have put up (many many), they have not gotten around to tearing that one down.

Bangkok is also home of the Hopewell Project, a failed airport expressway/metro project by by Hong Kong's Hopewell Holdings. The only remains of this project are (or were, I don't know the recent history of this project) Stonehenge-like support columns for the tracks and the roadway.

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/MassTransit/HopewellMain.shtml

img028.jpg

img029.jpg

^^^^^ WHOA, that looks awesome. I wonder if they would leave the pillars after taking down the Gardiner, like they did at Leslie.

Yeah, but we painted them white, and removed the crossbars, only the actual columns, so it looks really cool, which is my point as that would look great after they demolish the Jarvis-Don section.

edit: PS they can even be covered in that fake brick to match the distillery district.

It might be sort of interesting in a morbid way to find these around the world. Here's one from San Diego.

November 4, 2008

Dear Ocean Tower buyer:

We are deeply disappointed to report that the construction of Ocean Tower, which was suspended in May, has been terminated with no immediate prospects for completion.

Over the past six months, we attempted to maintain the commitment of Ocean Tower’s general contractor and lenders while studying the settlement and repair of the building.

Unfortunately, our efforts have been unsuccessful. Last week, with a proposal pending for the study and repair of the tower, the general contractor discharged its subcontractors and walked off the job.

Not coincidentally, the contractor’s refusal to participate further in the study comes at a time that Ocean Tower’s lenders have refused to advance additional funds for the study, repair, and/or construction of the tower.

With the future of Ocean Tower in serious question, we release you from your purchase agreement and plan to immediately return your earnest money.

This has been a difficult decision for us to make, but under the circumstances and given our desire to maintain your trust, we feel that we have no alternative. Obviously, no one anticipated the extensive delay or the problems the project is presently suffering. We are taking steps to have your earnest money returned. Please take a look at the attached release.

Once again, thank you for your support and trust in our project.

SouthPadre.jpg

Back