Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Somebody get some pics. This is photo of the day material in my mind at least. Walking into this store back in the 70's was like walking into a art gallery for me. All this amazing artwork from floor to ceiling (literally in this store's case). And unlike paintings this artwork contained a major bonus - music!

Yes please! I'm sad and happy at the same time. It sat dormant for too long - get rid of it so they can start with construction.

ps - Oh there's a thread for this already :)

No I think it will be a bit more than a parking lot.

I agree with Ed; anyone who grew up in or near Toronto during the 60s and 70s would have fantastic memories of this place. There's some sadness in seeing it go, although it actually "went" when Sam's finally closed the doors some time ago. By all means grab a picture someone, and we'll look forward to the badly needed new development to come.

I guess details on the proposed Ryerson Library / Student Learning Centre on this property can be found in the Ryerson: Master Plan thread ?

I agree with Ed; anyone who grew up in or near Toronto during the 60s and 70s would have fantastic memories of this place. There's some sadness in seeing it go, although it actually "went" when Sam's finally closed the doors some time ago. By all means grab a picture someone, and we'll look forward to the badly needed new development to come.

Yes you young folks don't understand how important this place once was. And not the building on the corner which came later after CDs were introduced but the one to the north of it. For anybody into music this was ground zero.

Yup, this was the single most important destination on Yonge Street. The Boxing Day Sale here was absolutely legendary.

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

thank you for the updates smuncky + androiduk ... this is certainly 'history in the making' (or dismantling)

Back