News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

TTC: Where's the Streetcar?

One little comment ... maybe it's all fake :)

Notice the times for the 510 and how wonderfully spaced apart they are .... lies!!! :D

That's fantastic. Here's hoping for a fast and efficient roll out of live TTC schedules.

Though the display showed in the example clearly has some issues, including the northbound 510 streetcar at King and Bay, and how the vehicle symbols overlap making the display difficult to interpret.

This will also help with data collection. I'm excited to think that the TTC might actually collect on-time performance figures for the first time in its existence.

Last edited:
It's not fully functional yet. I'm happy about this though, hopefully they'll release the position and eta data publicly.

This is amazing but hopefully it's not going to be a project that gets rolled out very slowly aka subway arrival time (only at Dundas station).

Could just be me but I noticed at Union station streetcar loop a new LED ticker being installed (I'm almost positive it's new). Maybe this will be used at this location.

It makes more sense then the full display which is extreme at all locations.

I also wonder what will happen in the union station tunnel. The ticker could probably assume that whole trip from entry takes 2min. If it get's stuck in there for whatever reason, oh well.

I like the fact that the TTC is trying out new gadgets.

20081211_streetcarwatch1.jpg

While I think the screen on the left with the arrival times is good, the "Google Map" on the right might be too much information, because the average passenger would not be concerned about the location of a vehicle somewhere on Lower Spadina or Queen's Quay. Any delays on the route can easily be displayed at the bottom of the left screen (the part that is reserved for "Thank You for taking the Better Way!").

Maybe the right screen could be turned into a touch-screen guide map that points out tourist attractions and nice restaurants along the route.

where the hell are those 2 streetcars going?! one isn't even on the route!

20081211_streetcarwatch2.jpg

While the north direction is off, there is nothing wrong with a 510 at King and Bay. The streetcars for 510 originate at the yard at Queen and Greenwood. In the morning rush you can see convoys of 510's making their way west on King to Spadina.

Might not even be wrong ... could be the result of some previous short turn or it could just be coming into service.

If that's the case it should have an ETA to some stop so it should be on the map.

This is amazing but hopefully it's not going to be a project that gets rolled out very slowly aka subway arrival time (only at Dundas station).

Could just be me but I noticed at Union station streetcar loop a new LED ticker being installed (I'm almost positive it's new). Maybe this will be used at this location.

It makes more sense then the full display which is extreme at all locations.

I also wonder what will happen in the union station tunnel. The ticker could probably assume that whole trip from entry takes 2min. If it get's stuck in there for whatever reason, oh well.

Spadina Stn also has one the LED tickers installed too. I bet that these will be the standard for relaying the next streetcar times at stops and the fancy screens are just a novelty for terminals like Spadina Stn only.

Last edited:

I think some GPS repeaters have been installed in the tunnel. The next stop system used to not work in the tunnel, but a few weeks ago it started to reliably call out the stop for Union Stn when going north and Queen's Quay going south.

Back