News   Apr 19, 2024
 18     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 445     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 779     3 

Nexus (Downtown Markham, Remington, 14 + 10s, Quadrangle)

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
The first mixed-use building in Remington's Downtown Markham project thus far ... with grade level retail fronting onto Birchmont Road ~ :)

Nexus - Bldg 'E' - Birchmount Road in foreground
Nexus_E.jpg

Nexus - Bldg 'F' - Verdale 1 shown on the right
Nexus_F.jpg

Site Plan
Nexus_sp.jpg

Relative location in phase 1 of Remington's Downtown Markham development

DTM_phase1.jpg

and relative to the overall Remington development
MasterPlan_PressRoom_final.jpg

First phase of Nexus (Bldg 'F'), 10 storeys, is coming soon ~

The phasing of Downtown Markham is a bit odd. The Verdale buildings were pretty much finished before this went on sale, so I guess it's no surprise that there was such a short window between sales and constuction. I wonder if they have a long list of potential buyers and are just leaving less time for sales?

What's "downtown" Markham like? Does it feel like it can pull off a certain semblance of urbanity? In Italian cities after the war they built these midrise apartment neighbourhoods where the buildings come right up to the sidewalk, only instead of being in the inner city they were built on the outskirts on former farmland. When you walk around them - because they are designed for walking - you get this weird feeling that while the built surroundings are certainly urban, there is no 'there' there, and you know in your mind that all the activity and life in the city is taking place somewhere else. I suppose "downtown" Markham will evolve into an area like this, which is not great but not the worst, either.

Remington launched Nexus South today. 14 storeys and 226 units. Also a new Cineplex and Marriott Hotel being added to downtown Markham.

Last edited:
Indeed CB ... its about time Remington lauches sales on this building considering it has been well under construction for a while now

Rendering:
NexusSouth_render.jpg

Photos taken today.

Also, I didn't take a photo, but the site of the retail component (Cineplex, etc.) hasn't been touched (despite the "groundbreaking"). I wonder if they're waiting for some of the work on Nexus to finish first?

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

What kind of ppl live here?

Please elaborate ? I like when your sarcasm is more direct in nature.

So it was a mistake (and I drive by this every day) ... the pick the same firm to construct these buildings. You could make a similar argument with cityplace though (though there's more variety there).

Secondly, the new developments, the hotel / retail. Will be mainly glass so it will add a lot of contrast in a good way.

To UD; You do realize in the short term the plan is to have quite a bit of retail / movie theater / hotel / ... There's a grocery store near by.
In the medium term; Public spaces, more retail / so on ...

Would you make a similar comment then ?

Nexus North Not on Track!

It appears based on the photos, Nexus South will be ready by Summer 2012...Which is funny because Nexus North was originally scheduled for Summer 2012 when we purchased it! Nexus South was originally scheduled for 2013.

Does anybody know what is going on here?? Has there been a revised construction completion date for these Nexus buildings??

I emailed Remington with that exact question last month. Here is their answer:

Thank you for your email. When we went to market with Nexus North, Construction had not commenced and we were required to include a date for "Tentative Occupancy" as per Tarion Warranty Corporation. Since we have now commenced construction, and prior to 90 days ahead of the First Tentative Occupancy Date, we will be required to provide you with an updated Tentative Occupancy Date. Once the roof assembly is completed on the buildings, we will then be able to provide you with a Confirmed Occupancy Date. So, as it stands now, the First Tentative Date (August 2012) remains the same.

With respect to your second question, Nexus North and South commenced construction at the same time as the underground is shared. However, due to accessibility of the cranes on site, we needed to proceed with the South Tower about 1.5 months of work before the North Tower. Eventually, as the two towers are poured, focus will be directed back to the North Tower for finishing ahead of the South Tower.

I hope your concerns have been addressed.

Thank you.

Dorothy Dranitsaris-Carey
Client Care Manager, High Rise Division
The Remington Group Inc.
7501 Keele Street, Suite 100
Vaughan ON L4K 1Y2
Tel: 905-761-8200 x 307
Fax: 905-760-1147
email: dcarey@remingtongroupinc.com

It appears based on the photos, Nexus South will be ready by Summer 2012...Which is funny because Nexus North was originally scheduled for Summer 2012 when we purchased it! Nexus South was originally scheduled for 2013.

Does anybody know what is going on here?? Has there been a revised construction completion date for these Nexus buildings??

Thats exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks. So it seems that most likely first occupancy date will be roughly around november/december 2012.

Just received a letter through registered mail from Remington. New tentative occupancy date: May 13, 2013.

Back