News   Apr 23, 2024
 735     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 450     0 

Condo Upgrades

argos

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do most of you get the upgrades from the builder? or do you hire people yourself after you move in?

Are savings that significant? Are there things that is better to have the builder install it (e.g., warranty vs. no warranty)?

Some things i'm thinking about upgrading/installing are:
- upgrade kitchen backsplash
- replacing carpeted bedrooms with laminate
- install an island counter-top
- install a door in den

Thanks in advance!

In general upgrades are total rip-offs. They charge you an arm and a leg for everything. However, due to the worsening condo sales, salespeople are more and more inclined to throw in free upgrades to move units. If you can't get upgrades for free, wait until you take possession and do them yourself.

Do most of you get the upgrades from the builder? or do you hire people yourself after you move in?

Are savings that significant? Are there things that is better to have the builder install it (e.g., warranty vs. no warranty)?

Some things i'm thinking about upgrading/installing are:
- upgrade kitchen backsplash
- replacing carpeted bedrooms with laminate
- install an island counter-top
- install a door in den

Thanks in advance!

Upgrades are severely marked up by builders. They charge retail price and can get away with it because some work is impossible or extremely frustrating to do on your own after occupancy. The warranty issue is relative. If your builder has a reputation for resolving deficiencies effectively, then it's worth it, but some builders barely want to fix standard issues, so there may be no advantage to paying them to do it. For your wish list:

Backsplash - This is really easy to do, and you'll often get a much better variety of tile options from a tile supplier.

Laminate flooring - This is also easy, but can be messy. If you choose this option, it's best to do this before you move in your furniture. Note that if you already have laminate in other rooms, it may be hard to match the colour of the floor if you do your bedrooms on your own. Even getting the same colour from the same manufacturer could result in boards stained differently if they don't come from the same batch.

Island countertop - If you want to match this to your existing cabinets and countertop, again, colour could be an issue. If you want to go for something completely different you have more flexibility and this could be cheaper than the builder's options.

Door in den - You can do this, but it may be a pain to do. Installing a door requires a door, trim, hardware, and baseboards. Getting the builder to do this ensures all these parts match the rest of the unit.

Argos - most upgrades can be done on your own if your are patient and willing to wait a bit longer to have your place finished once you take posession (but after a year or two of waiting, what's a few more weeks, right?)

I upgraded many things in my new condo, none of which I regret, but many of which i realize now I COULD HAVE done on my own after the fact and it only would've taken a week. I.e. the hardwood floors, the backsplash etc.

One thing I would say is DEFINITELY worth paying the builder to do are smooth ceilings (if you like them). It will cost you a lot, but it is a MESSY MESSY job to undertake on your own afterward.

Argos - most upgrades can be done on your own if your are patient and willing to wait a bit longer to have your place finished once you take posession (but after a year or two of waiting, what's a few more weeks, right?)

I upgraded many things in my new condo, none of which I regret, but many of which i realize now I COULD HAVE done on my own after the fact and it only would've taken a week. I.e. the hardwood floors, the backsplash etc.

One thing I would say is DEFINITELY worth paying the builder to do are smooth ceilings (if you like them). It will cost you a lot, but it is a MESSY MESSY job to undertake on your own afterward.

How much roughly for the smooth ceilings? If you don't mind...I guess it would depend on the square footage?? The unit is about 1040 square feet?

Hey condo boy - it'll depend on the square footage and builder and what they charge. My unit is 820 square feet and I believe the smooth ceilings throughout were about $2000 or so. It's a lot - but friends are having it done after the fact and it's still a pricey, time-consuming job because, underneath the popcorn stucco, the ceiling is not perfeclty smooth. So it's not a question of just scraping it off, but of then refinishing the ceiling underneath. A friend at another condo moved out of her unit for a week while the ceilings were being smoothed. Big job.

Hey condo boy - it'll depend on the square footage and builder and what they charge. My unit is 820 square feet and I believe the smooth ceilings throughout were about $2000 or so. It's a lot - but friends are having it done after the fact and it's still a pricey, time-consuming job because, underneath the popcorn stucco, the ceiling is not perfeclty smooth. So it's not a question of just scraping it off, but of then refinishing the ceiling underneath. A friend at another condo moved out of her unit for a week while the ceilings were being smoothed. Big job.

Thanks for the info Urban Newbie!

My condo developer quoted me $4.50 per square foot for flat ceilings. For a 1000 square foot condo it would've been $4500 (less since the kitchen and bathrooms were already smooth). But still, $4000ish is still a lot!

Last edited:
My condo developer quoted me $4.50 per square foot for flat ceilings. For a 1000 square foot condo it would've been $4500 (less since the kitchen and bathrooms were already smooth). But still, $4000ish is still a lot!

That's outrageous. We have 1100 sq ft and it cost us 2500.

When you hire someone to do floors the charge by the sq ft to remove and again by the sq ft to dispose. Depending on the floor you get from the builder it's pretty much comparable though still a rip off for installation alone.

question wishing for UT's input:

understanding builder's upgrade are generally a rip-off, is it worthwhile to do these upgrades with the builder or can it be done 'after market'?

- undermount sink
- double square edge granite counter (increases counter edge from 3/4" to 1-1/2")
- add cabinet door (where it is just an open shelf)

question wishing for UT's input:

understanding builder's upgrade are generally a rip-off, is it worthwhile to do these upgrades with the builder or can it be done 'after market'?

- undermount sink
- double square edge granite counter (increases counter edge from 3/4" to 1-1/2")
- add cabinet door (where it is just an open shelf)

You should get a quote from the builder first, then do a comparison b/c sometimes their upgrade costs aren't that different; however, that is most likely not the case.

1. undermount sink - probably could be done after.
2. double square edge granite counter - builder, since the double lip is on the underside. I believe they have to raise the countertop depth abit so your base cabinet doors will have clearance to open.
3. cabinet door - do you want an exact match or are you going with something different? If the cabinet door is a 'standard size', then find out who supplies the cabinets to the developer and get a quote. Probably cheaper yourself.

thanks cdr108 ...

wrt to #3 ... yes I would look to match the colour of standard cabinetry ... I'm looking at possibly doing the following:

Standard
kitchen_old.jpg

Upgrade
kitchen_new.jpg

hi solaris, what's the full width of the open cabinet up to the wall, and the height?

It looks like you're trying to get a symmetrical look which is nice with the full height door on the right end.
My concern has to do with the awning style door - where would the right-side hinge attach to if you did it afterwards since the open shelf is, well all open, unless you also installed a 'partition'?

Alternatively, you get an awning style door for the full width.

cdr108..... that HOLE is roughly 4'6" wide by 1'0" tall

one reason I 'may be' tied to get this upgrade through the builder is because of the required changes in the cabinetry itself ~ or alternatively like you suggested, a awning style door spanning the full width, or even cheaper option is to put a little 'curtain' in that area

cdr108..... that HOLE is roughly 4'6" wide by 1'0" tall

one reason I 'may be' tied to get this upgrade through the builder is because of the required changes in the cabinetry itself ~ or alternatively like you suggested, a awning style door spanning the full width, or even cheaper option is to put a little 'curtain' in that area

Solaris, are your appliances black or s/s?
I have an idea for you if it is possible to get just the full height door on the right side from the developer and leave the HOLE open.
Get a quote to see what the price difference will be for 1 door on right only; and 1 right door plus 1 awning door.

Back