233     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

New York Tower - Daniel Libeskind

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
libesk-leadoption2.jpg

Daniel Libeskind recently unveiled a soaring green skyscraper for New York that is constructed of mostly glass and stands to be the city’s tallest residential structure at 900 feet. Dubbed the New York Tower at One Madison Avenue, the 54-story apartment building features a series of ‘sky gardens‘ cut out from its facade that provide green space and terraced balconies for residents. Terraced gardens are becoming quite popular as a means for people to have an outdoor connection, fresh air, and even a place to grow their own food.

libeskind-sg02.jpg

There’s a certain competitiveness involved in designing a skyscraper that drives designs to be bigger, better, greener and more innovative. Often the designs for skyscrapers are unveiled and promoted extensively by very proud architects. Daniel Libeskind, on the other hand, has been considerably modest about his newest skyscraper design, which has no other name but the New York Tower.

Rumors have circulated for over a year about the New York Tower, but nothing had been seen of it until recently, when Libeskind’s new book, Counterpoint, was released on November 18th. The pictures you see here were actually scanned from his book, as they are the only known images of the design.

libeskind-closeup1.jpg

As for the other green amenities, few details have been released. We can most likely expect the residential project to have great great indoor air quality, and be very energy and water efficient thanks to the insular effects of the sky gardens. No word as to whether this project would seek LEED certification. The images you see here were created over a year ago, so it is likely the project has undergone significant changes since and hopefully has become even greener.

As the architect tells New York Magazine, “We didn’t just fill up the tower, we’ve taken space away [from the apartments] to create the gardens,” which are actually balconies tucked within the envelope. “It’s as if nature has come back into the city.”

liebsk-comp01.jpg

liebsk-model1.jpg

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/12/09/sky-garden-skyscraper-by-daniel-libeskind/

Last edited:
With the economy being what it is expect this to be held up for a long time. Lots of sad members at Wired New York as project after project gets put on hold as the credit crunch hits hard.

Hmmm.. I don't know what to think. Unique yes but it can't be that pleasant to look out your window or balcony and see a giant column right in your face.

I wonder how this will look in the dead of winter when all the green is gone? Like a section was bombed out or something.

I really, really like this tower. If it doesn't get built due to the credit crunch, I sure hope they do when everything rebounds.

Did anyone here ever used to watch the cartoon show Gargoyles?

When I look at this rendering I can't help but think of the skyscraper that used to be home to the main characters. The only difference is that the cartoon version has a castle on it...

xanacorp.jpg
libesk-leadoption2.jpg

i think they overdid the hight in the rendering because it looks like it is over 300m:confused:To me at least

Last edited:
Wow... if things turn out right, New York's tallest residential tower would be a Libeskind, and the second tallest would be a Gehry. Overpaid sports athletes... supertall residential towers from star architects... is there anything that New York can't get?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how it will affect the view of the Met Life "campanile" right next door. If built, the Libeskind tower will draw attention away from the classical spires of Met Life and New York Life in the view looking south from the Empire State Building.

Is this in the location of the ex-World Trade Centres? I heard Libeskind was designing something for that location as well.

^I think he's suggesting something about the eventual fate of this project - as in it won't happen.

Both the NY tower and the Ghery look great!! Is this Ghery's, and for that matter Liberskid's, first skyscraper? Both look amazing!!

RE: in winter. good point, but maybe they could put up some interesting lighting in the "bombed-out" sections.

Last edited:
The nicey-nice inclusion of green space in the building is entirely overwhelmed by the visual tension those enormous cut-outs and 13-Story high exposed columns create.

Do people really want to live in buildings that look like they're about to fall down? Gross. A skyline made up of improbable Jenga towers.

Back