Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Plans Reveal New Details for Ryerson Church Street Development
ALSO
Page 91 of 127 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1902

Thread: Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

http://torontoist.com/2012/04/silver...ts-a-new-home/

Silver Snail Gets a New Home

Silver Snail comics, a long-time Queen Street fixture, has found a new home in a new neighbourhood.
    BY MATT DEMERS (GUEST CONTRIBUTOR) • PHOTOS BY LODOE-LAURA HAINES-WANGDA

The popular comics-and-more shop will be leaving its Queen West storefront of 36 years to move to a second-floor location steps from Yonge and Dundas Square, at 329 Yonge Street, where its owners hope to have it open for business by July 1 at the latest. The Silver Snail will continue to operate at its popular Queen West location until then.
    Silver Snail’s owner, George Zotti, began to lay plans for the move when he found out that the store’s Queen West building had been sold for redevelopment. At first, he eyed the Annex for a potential new location, but eventually realized that the neighbourhood wasn’t a good fit. “The whole idea was to find an area that we liked with a space that we liked. We [really] liked the Annex, but we couldn’t find anything,” said Zotti. “Everything was really small—like 1,400 square feet, or something like that—or used to be a restaurant. To make a restaurant not a restaurant is very expensive.”

Blog Entries

That's really odd ... wouldn't have guessed that.
    If I had a penny for every time someone asked me why I was looking upů

3. Default

Kid's clothing and toy store Jetbaby is opening up soon in the old The Cook's Place spot on Danforth at Logan
    Last edited by GKW; 2012-Apr-21 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente View Post
    People drive to Pennsylvania for this kind of stuff
    Indeed. I've seen homemade ads on poles in suburban Toronto for bus trips to Grove City, PA. Grove City is between Erie and Pittsburgh, at least a 4 hour drive (longer since being on a charted bus, you're going to get the fifth degree from US customs agents and on the return trip, the tax-collecting Canadian Border Services delay.

The reason why Pennsylvania is popular is that there's no sales tax on clothing, which there is in New York State. Grove City might be a small town in nowhere, but is located near the I-79/I-80 interchange and a day trip from Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and so forth.

The site plan looks a little interesting.

- Some houses are swallowed up.
    - Unenclosed mall, and at least it's more compact than that of Waterloo and Grove City. Hence, it will resemble Woodbury Common.
    - There are four entrances: just one from Trafalgar, three from Steeles. However, there are only two exits, both of which are along Steeles. Expect long lineups waiting for a left turn at 6 PM on weekends.
    - Mall surrounded by parking, just like most suburban malls are.
    - Carpool lot and an unused bus loop west of the site which can act as a terminal for the mall: looks like Mississauga, Brampton, and GO (and less likely Milton) can serve this mall.

6. Default

It's no wonder that Trafalgar & Steeles intersection is being rebuilt from a rural one into a typical dual-left suburban monster. They promised bike lanes on Steeles, but we'll see. The site plan looks like a typical Premium/Prime/Tanger outlet. Nice that there's no sign of any big box retailers. Shovels are in the ground for this one as of this week.

Just read that Greg's Ice Cream has oppened a shop in the Distillery District.

Yeah, they've been working on opening at that location for a while, now. They were around during the Distillery Christmas Market when they kept running out of ice cream.
    flickr

• cats are OK - purrr
    • dogs are OK - wooof

9. Default

As I already posted, but now more official...

http://www.jaytexgroup.com/locations...nalPenguin.php

Excerpt:

Original Penguin is for people with great intellect, style and humour. Original Penguin is about adult hijinks but today it's filtered through a modern lens.

First Canadian Retail Store

Coming Summer 2012
    Toronto
    Stay Tuned for More News!

Blog Entries

The stretch of Yonge form a little north of Elignton to Lawrence seems to be struggling a little as of late. A lot of space for lease now. Mexx, which has maybe been open for 1 year now after years of building there amazing store (probably their nicest in the GTA) is closing around the end of May. I always thought there store was far too large (and nice) for the area.

There are maybe a good 5/7 other smaller stores for lease now on the stretch. The largest being the old puma store, it was sitting vacant for a while but they're trying to lease it as two separate stores (on each level).

I know some were interested in the fate of the old Nike store, which turned into a temporary fairwaether, its now a children's clothing store (there are many in the area).

A couple of the older stores seemed to have been leased but no indication by who yet.

Uniqlo expanding in the U.S. When will they bring it to Canada?

NY Times: As U.S. Retailers Retreat, a Japanese Chain Sees an Opening

12. Default

I hear Atmosphere by SportChek is taking over the mexx space. does anyone know who is taking the puma?

Quote Originally Posted by butabi View Post
    I hear Atmosphere by SportChek is taking over the mexx space. does anyone know who is taking the puma?
    Great intel on Atmosphere, how did you hear of this?
    I do know that the old Puma space has been leased (Jordan Karp did the deal, same guy that leased the Cumberland theatres to Nespresso).
    "Without Sicily, Italy leaves no image in the soul. Sicily is the key to everything." Ś Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info! I saw the lease sign up on the puma store on monday but it could have been taken down by now.

Blog Entries

Was just thinking ... I doubt Atmosphere will do that well ! There are so many sporting stores in the area:
    The largest sporting life, with two locations, and higher ground as well!

Page 91 of 127 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast