235     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

CityPlace: potential tower sw corner of Spadina & Front

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
cityplaceop9.jpg

/\ Oh, didn't you hear? Santiago Calatrava and Norman Foster are going to place one a world-stage worthy bridge here. It will be a beautiful span, projecting odd geometries and evocative shapes.

Oh wait, thats wrong. It'll be, at best, a pedestrian convenience designed by undergrads at Ryerson....if it gets built at all.

Sorry for the mistake.

So of all places to put a bridge over the RR tracks, they put it right by Spadina. I don't actually believe there is one going there. If there is one, it would be on the west side of the Parada site linking Cityplace to Portland St.

That model does show Montage with the red materials as seen in the renderings as well, but not on the actual building.

Originally City Place was going to put a tower on the southwest corner of Spadina and Front (the location noted above). They decided not to because the small site would make construction difficult. I wonder if they are reviving the idea.

/\ Oh, didn't you hear? Santiago Calatrava and Norman Foster are going to place one a world-stage worthy bridge here. It will be a beautiful span, projecting odd geometries and evocative shapes.

Oh wait, thats wrong. It'll be, at best, a pedestrian convenience designed by undergrads at Ryerson....if it gets built at all.

Sorry for the mistake.

LOL! Good one. That one gets a 3 out of 5 cookies.
I wonder who will lose a bet and have to walk over first?

The little platform jutting over the tracks shown in the pictures above looks like the platform for the planned-for but not followed-up tower at Front and Spadina, which looks like it would roughly mirror Apex across the street.

cityplace2.jpg

The little platform jutting over the tracks shown in the pictures above looks like the platform for the planned-for but not followed-up tower at Front and Spadina, which looks like it would roughly mirror Apex across the street.

cityplace2.jpg

It's the bridge they're building over the tracks.

It's the bridge they're building over the tracks.
No, it isn't. That's connecting Portland St. to Cityplace directly north of Parade. We're talking about the other rendered bridge closer to Spadina.

No, it isn't. That's connecting Portland St. to Cityplace directly north of Parade. We're talking about the other rendered bridge closer to Spadina.

Oh... I stand corrected.

Is there even room for a condo there? I thought thats where they park all the trains...

Oh... I stand corrected.

Is there even room for a condo there? I thought thats where they park all the trains...
The answer is in the 5th post from the top of this page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concord Adex's 1997 Cityplace Rendering

found a clearer version of the original Cityplace concept rendering dating back to 1997 ... which indeed shows a tower at the southwest corner of Spadina + Front (across from Toyota) ... I guess the plan for that one stand alone condo has been scrapped, since most Cityplace projects generally contain 2 or more buildings in each complex (economies of scale?)

note following changes:
  • Harbour View Estates (southeast of Spadina + Bremner) now contains 4 buildings in the complex as opposed to the 3 shown
  • a short school/community proposal was shown on TCHC's block 31 site
  • the current LUNA block was created / squeezed in by reducing the parcel size on the MONTAGE and PARADE EAST blocks
  • in effect, Concord Adex's total building count increased from 18 bldgs to 20 bldgs (excluding block 31)

Cityplace_orig.jpg

Okay that's a little bit over the top ...

There's what looks like water everywhere in the rendering, clearly that wouldn't have happened. lol there's water by the DVP! ...

Hard to tell but I'm liking the towers we got instead of what's shown.

Back