News   Mar 28, 2024
 94     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 357     0 

Upper Village (LEED Silver, Markham Rd n of 16th, Greenpark, 2x 23s, Kirkor)

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some new density approved in May 2008 coming to Markham Road + 16 Avenue in the Town of Markham... (and yes that would be the country to some hehe :D)

260 residential units with grade level retail, surface+underground parking, two 10s terracing buildings, two more buildings to come in phase 2 ... will certainly provide a nice streetwall :)

GovernorsSq_siteplan.jpg
GovernorsSq_elevationsS.jpg
GovernorsSq_elevationsE.jpg

Staff Report: http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/Development%20Services/pl080520/Anagni%20Homes%20Ltd.htm

Report Figures: http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/Development%20Services/pl080520/Anagni%20Homes%20Ltd.pdf

Not bad, but couldn't they have put the buildings a little closer to 16th and Markham road and leave the surface parking in the back? I thought Markham was all about 'urbanizing' this area with higher densities and walkability.

well if its anything ... this site is like 500 metres north of 16th Ave ... Edward Jefferys Ave is like a mid-block collector with detached and townhouses further to the west

My bad, i thought it was right at 16th (didn't pay attention to the street name on the Site Plan). Still though, regardless if it's a minor collector street or arterial, put parking in the back. They even have it like this in Phase 2. The site is pretty close to the Mt. Joy GO Station, too.

Parking should be out back, and main entrances should be by the street. It makes a difference in encouraging pedestrian activity and makes a street look more attractive.

Solaris: Since the site is north of 16th Ave, so as the site plan says, the project fronts on Highway 48, not Markham Road (or Main Street). And yes... after 16th Hwy 48 is very country-like, with the increased speed limit!

As for the project, hopefully it will be able to generate some life into Main Street Markham. Right now it looks pretty dead compared to Main Street Unionville.

s for the project, hopefully it will be able to generate some life into Main Street Markham. Right now it looks pretty dead compared to Main Street Unionville.

This is quite a bit north of Main Street Markham. It WOULD be nice to see some condos closer to the main drag of main street. The heritage committee is very opposed to height though, so this seems unlikely.

Hopefully one day this city and those around it will stop placing surface parking along major routes. Stick it in the back, underground, or remove it altogether.
Unless I'm mistaken, Markham WAS a city adopting prudent planning practices like that. Other than that one detail on this particular project, I think they're headed in the right direction.

While Markham (and Oakville for that matter) are Towns which have established themselves on high quality of urban design principals (such as Cornell + Markham Centre) ... I suppose Town staff also recongize the existing area context of Highway 48 (as wylie noted~) with new large format retail (Walmart, CTC etc) popping up in the area ... so in this regards staff recongize a good portion of the population will continue to drive and in order to make grade retail @ Governor's Square viable limited parking (1 aisle) is provided .... the majority of the parking would be underground I believe

The town has a tendency to enforce urban design principals wherever achievable (and developers hate them for that), and in this case that is why you see the phase 2 condo building pushed right up to the street, since for phsae 2 parking to ensure viability of grade retail is not an issue (no retail proposed along Edward Jeffreys Ave)

The front parking is lame, but baby steps for Markham, I guess. Incidentally, this condo project is walking distance away from Mount Joy GO station, but looking at the Live maps image, it appears that there is an idiotic chain link fence surrounding the station's parking lot, adding an extra 3 minute walk for anybody coming from the south. There are also no sidewalks on Highway 48.

Those moments are frustrating when you notice the insignificance of the pedestrian evident in everything from stores to streets around the new sprawl areas. Then there's the absurdity of "ye olde" dominating all the buildings, despite the fact that nothing accommodates the "ye olde" pedestrian who puts the most effort into travel.

speaking with Town staff ... I was advised Kirkor Architects has recently been retained for this project

the current design shares many similarities with Greenpark's The Rosewood project at DVP + Eglinton in terms of massing and facade materials which include lots of precast + brick

pics_lg_des_arch.jpg

sigh ~ :(

I was advised Kirkor Architects has recently been retained for this project

Thank god!

A highrise building in York Region not designed by Kirkor would likely spell the end of civilivation

Back