News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Parc Downsview Park

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Star:

If Downsview Park matters, why has nothing begun?
Jun. 1, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

By any standard, it was a bit of a fiasco.

The star of the show, Toronto's world-famous designer Bruce Mau, was on hand to talk about "Why Downsview Park Matters," but by the time the evening was over, nothing could have seemed further from the truth.

But it wasn't all Mau's fault; the land in question, about 250 hectares that was a Canadian Forces base and Bombardier facility, still hasn't been given to the Downsview Park corporation.

Though it was the federal government that launched an international competition in 1999 to design "Canada's first national urban park" (whatever that is) the land remains in the possession of the Department of National Defence.

Mau and his good friend, Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas, won that competition. But since then Koolhaas has apparently washed his hands of the matter and moved on. Poor Mau, however, is still part of the team that would transform this neglected site into ... well, that's the question.

What Mau should have done at his session, which was sponsored by the University of Toronto's Global Cities Program, was to elucidate a vision of Downsview Park so marvellous and compelling that resistance was futile. Instead, he played a series of meaningless intellectual games that gave a pretty good idea of what the park won't be. But beyond that, it was hard to grasp what he was on about.

He did say it would be "a post-park model." Right. He also declared that we live at "the end of the era of the park," and that it will be "an event in the life of the city." Hmmm.

Though Mau also declared that designing the park isn't "a landscape issue," Downsview Park chair David Bell quickly reminded guests that 20,000 trees would be planted this spring. (Isn't it summer already?)

By the time the dust settled, at least one Downsview board member, former Famous Players president John Bailey, had told all present that if this were the private sector, everyone would have been fired by now.

Speaking of which, why not? Bailey's idea was the one that rang through the muddle of good intentions and hit home. Why not? Just get rid of the whole bunch and start again. There's nothing much to lose by taking such drastic action. We're no further ahead now than when the competition was launched seven years ago. If anything, the legacy of cynicism means that getting the public to buy into the project will be harder than ever.

Stephen Harper, here's your chance to endear yourself to Torontonians.

In the meantime, there are landscape architects — Canadian, European, American — who could turn Downsview into something spectacular. The waterfront competitions now underway give some indication of what's possible. It could be amazing.

Mau is right about one thing: namely that the notion of the park has changed. No longer is it leftover space, or even an antidote to the city. Now it has become more pro-active, not simply a place to walk but a place to experience.

How to pay for the new Downsview? By developing the land at the edges as a high-density, mixed-use urban community focused around the park.

So far, the land sold by the corporation has been built up with big-box stores; not a very promising start to what must be a model of sustainability and intelligence.

As it stands, expectations for Downsview are low and it has fallen off the political table as an issue. Mayor David Miller and his federal and provincial friends, now so active on the waterfront, have given it a wide berth. Miller sent his regrets to Mau's presentation.

Yet the potential is enormous, transformative even. Already the subway reaches the park, but so far there's little reason for anyone to use it.

It's time to get serious about Downsview, to wake up to the possibilities. Instead of viewing it as a problem that won't go away, we must understand that it's an asset, one so vast it could enable us to make Toronto the city we'd like it to be.

Indeed it is time to get serious about Downsview. Scrap the whole project as it stands right now, re-evaluate what the goals for the area should be, and engage in a precinct planning exercise similiar to those practiced by TWRC on the waterfront. We don't need a park searching for a mission - what's needed is something that would help to revitalize the area.

AoD

Thanks for the post and yes, everybody should be fired and we should possible start over (at least bring on a better development plan). Of course, this will add on another year or two.

alklay:

We have been waiting for what, 10 years with nothing but Costco, Home Depot and an awful DND building to show for it. I'd much rather wait 5 more years for a decent project to emerge than going forward the current plans, which IMO squanders the opportunity (or worse, limits future possiblities) the site provides for city building.

AoD

We have been waiting for what, 10 years with nothing but Costco, Home Depot and an awful DND building to show for it. I'd much rather wait 5 more years for a decent project to emerge than going forward the current plans, which IMO squanders the opportunity (or worse, limits future possiblities) the site provides for city building.

I agree, but I think that unless Bombardier moves out, there's going to be a lot of wasted land. This is why, for example, the big boxes were built at Wilson and Dufferin - it's in the runway flight path, even though there's a subway station right there screaming for intensive use (oh, I've got great plans for that station, including getting rid of that double-deck bus terminal in my redevelopment schemes).

The only thing done so far was the planting of a whole lot of trees and some landscaping work along Keele.

spm:

I don't disagree with your assessment at all - the current plans on the area is restricted by the presence of Bombardier and the need for the runway to stay open, which I don't necessarily think is a desirable thing when weighting the potential of the district against the number of jobs it provides. That's why I said we should look at the goals for the area first, as controversial as that maybe among some quarters.

AoD

I think on the north end, along Sheppard, a high-tech business centre should go in, feed into the subway connections to all three universities and make a transition into the industrial zone to the north (which the high-tech area would slowly consume as well). This would more than replace the Bombardier jobs. Along Keele, should be a St. Lawrence-style mixed use mid rise, residential and commerical with some senior/mixed income housing mixed in. The Park itself should be large, in the centre, partly sports fields (towards Dufferin) and training, partly forested/creative landscapes with some features such as playgrounds. A few mid-to-high buildings immediately around Downsview TTC.

When I get home, I'll create a map of what I'd plan.

I agree, this park isnt in a hurry or a priority.

In the mean time, need proper zoning for future planning.

But where will they park all the cars? Whenever I fly into Toronto, all I see if a line of cars on the old taxiways. I assume it's excess mechandise from one of the auto manufacturers in the area. Anyone know?

I like the idea of a high tech centre, out of the city core to be more affordable for companies that don't need the Bay street address, but still accessible by transit.

The south end of the property adjacent to the Allen is a parking facility for Daimler-Chrysler, behind that is a mini-dump used by city streetsweepers and storage for snowplows, and behind *that* are the Wilson subway yards, which may or may not still be expanded northward. So that area remains problematic.

I'd love to see Downsview airport shut down, the potential of the site is huge. The entire surrounding area is either residential, York U, or prime redevelopment lands for the Spadina Subway extension.

I'd be willing to see the provincial government through as much money as it takes to get Bombardier to relocate the jobs and facility to a new site at the Pickering airport lands or elsewhere in the GTA.

It's a frustrating example of political gridlock, somewhat like the waterfront, with each level of government trying to get their share of credit, and nothing much actually moving ahead.

The chances of Bombardier moving out are slim to none (and Slim has left town as they say). Realistically, anything to be done here has to be built around Bombardier and the runway, and this does imply height restrictions.

It seems to be a no-brainer that high-density housing should go adjacent to the Downsview subway station. On top of that, the Keele Street frontage would be appropriate for apartments as well. This is an arterial street with bus service and is just off the 401.

I'd have no problems with a thoughtfully-designed expansion of Brampton airport. Brampton could probably use the jobs, but it would be taking them a bit further away from Toronto than I would like.

I'd move the Island Airport to Downsview and turn the island into the park.

Back