News   Mar 28, 2024
 37     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Metro Toronto Planning dept published this booklet in 1958; here's a selection of

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
6 pages for your amusement.:)

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0865.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

Chief Constable Chisholm took his own life that very year, 1958.

"Chisholm was not up to the politics of the Chief's office, especially in facing off with Fred "Big Daddy" Gardiner who engineered almost single-handedly the formation of Metropolitan Toronto in the 1950s. The Toronto City Police absorbed the surrounding police departments and grew in size and complexity, Chisholm found himself unable to manage the huge agency and its Byzantine politics. In 1958, after a number of conflicts with Gardiner and members of the newly expanded Metropolitan Toronto Board of Police Commissioners, Chief Chisholm drove to High Park on the city's west end, parked his car and committed suicide with his service revolver."
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Police_Service

DSCF0863.jpg

Glancing at the pictures, I almost mistook Chris Tonks for Alan Tonks.

Isn't it interesting that the women on the council have Mrs. in front of their names, while the men don't have any prefix attached (ie. Mr.).

I noticed that Toronto, in 1958, had more streetcars (877) than buses (741). In 2007, the TTC has 248 streetcars and 1,545 buses. Only 95 more surface vehicles.

W. K. Glancing at the pictures said:
I guess there such things as dynasties in local politics. The name becomes kind of a brand name for continuity or something like that and voters will take the safe choice. I was reading a few years ago that the Lastman son - the lawyer one - was being pushed by backers as a potential mayor; then of course old man Lastman imploded politically.

Isn't there a councillor Shiner now? I seem to recall a woman councillor with the same name decades ago. Same with Nunziata; there seems to be a whole bunch of them in politics.

A friend adopted the name Steinberg - she sayid it would be good for business.

ok, I'm being a bore now.

I noticed that Toronto, in 1958, had more streetcars (877) than buses (741). In 2007, the TTC has 248 streetcars and 1,545 buses. Only 95 more surface vehicles.

Oh, we were better served back then by the TTC.:)

Standing at Yonge and Lawrence in the days when the subway ended at Eglinton, waiting for a southbound Yonge bus; if you missed a bus the next one followed in about 4 minutes. This was all day long. Good service it was. The drivers sold tickets and dispensed change too.

DSCF0863.jpg

Glancing at the pictures, I almost mistook Chris Tonks for Alan Tonks.

Isn't it interesting that the women on the council have Mrs. in front of their names, while the men don't have any prefix attached (ie. Mr.).

Interesting how many future mayors are in that photo - Givens, Summerville, Dennison.

I guess there such things as dynasties in local politics. The name becomes kind of a brand name for continuity or something like that and voters will take the safe choice. I was reading a few years ago that the Lastman son - the lawyer one - was being pushed by backers as a potential mayor; then of course old man Lastman imploded politically.

There's a few names that keep reappearing. Esther/David Shiner, Betty/Paul Sutherland, Doug/Rob Ford, Chris/Al Tonks, Colin/Adam Vaughan. Then there is the dysfunctional political family that is known as the Nunziatas (all from the same generation, I believe, at least John and Frances).

And more Jobs!

the graphics/fonts are really sleek!!

Can you imagine how long the City would deliberate before sending something like this out to the residents?

Back