News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 768     0 

Unique Houses in Toronto

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's a thread for photos of interesting low-rise residential architecture in the city. I'll try to post houses of any style with some details on a regular basis, but I'm going for the truly outstanding. Everyone is free to contribute something new, of course, even if the photos aren't original. Include the address, and optionally some other details. For this, TOBuilt is a good resource.

Barton Myers Residence, 1970
19 Berryman Street

Photo by livinginacity on Flickr

19 Berryman was designed by Barton Myers for his personal use. The interior was rather ground breaking, and has exposed ductwork and structural elements. There are two bedrooms closer to the front, and the master bedroom is linked with a bridge that spans an atrium.

Last edited:
Five more for today

The McNamara House, 1923
50 Heath Street West

Photo by ettml on Flickr

The square cornice, flat roof, and deep eaves are typical of the Ontario Prairie style, but it is unusual to find a white house in this style. The emphasis on geometry and the decoration on the corner piers shows some "Arts and Crafts" influence - the 19th century movement championing craftsmanship in reaction to mass production.

The decorative frieze on the cornice and soffit is unique. The shape of the windows, the grouping, and the arrangement of muntin bars on the windows are distinctly Prairie style. (Ontario Architecture)

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

If the Prairie style was rare in Toronto, detached Brutalist houses like this one are rare anywhere, since the style was used mainly on institutional buildings and offices. This one was designed by Taivo Kapsi.

Photo by onshi on Flickr

Designed by Rohan Walters, this resin-impregnated plywood clad structure does away with conventions on what a house should look like. It's 16 by 16 feet with 800 square feet of living space, and resting on four steel posts. It also features a green roof. The entrance is connected to the street with a 32 foot long bridge. The colour palette was supposedly taken from a Group of Seven painting.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Built by Superkul in Rosedale, it also incorporates a large atrium, flooding the house with natural light. The unadorned stained wood panels are a distinctive contemporary touch. They'll likely require a lot of maintenance, or fade to a dull but natural colour. Also note the setting. It's Rosedale, one of the finest historic neighbourhoods in Toronto.

Photo by Bob Krawczyk

Combining styles from different eras is difficult. The end result could be unique and lofty, or bizarre. This house seems to pull it off, though it was easier to do in the late nineteenth century. The narrow front facade, neoclassical entrance and distinctive tower with copper roof contribute to its appeal.

Last edited:
Hentzman house is cool - that turret room especially - I would shoot a bb gun at pigeons from there. Or stick a vintage telescope in the room and invite my friends and UTers to my private observatory.;)

I too have lots of these that I've noted over the years.

My bar none favourite house in the city is 48 Heathdale Road in Cedarvale by Teeple Architects. Cedarvale has quite a few nice contemporary houses.

48HeathdaleRd1-1.jpg

An oddity is this one on Lake Promenade in Long Branch. This street is very eclectic. I suspect many of you will hate this, but I like it in its 1970's oddness. There is another just up the road that must have been the same architect, but it not quite so good.

25LakePromenade1.jpg

One of the least successful modern houses that I've come across, downright bizarre, is this one in Governor's Bridge. What the heck?

31GovernorsRd1.jpg

Somewhat well known and on the heritage list is the Clay Tile House in the Junction.

ClayTileHouse1.jpg

The winner in the "Postmodernism Meets Someone in need of Psychiatric Treatment" category is 102 Heathcote Avenue in York Mills.

102HeathcoteAve.jpg

I am inordinantly fond of those brown porthole windows from the 1970's, probably because few have survived. If it were up to me, I would catalogue them and put them all on the Inventory. This example on Old Colony Road I think is actually a handsome structure, considered in its own terms.

90OldColonyRd1.jpg

More ...

Charles Gane's house on Wendigo Way, bordering High Park. He is a principal at Core Architects. This isn't the best photo, but the house is quite beautiful and coherent.

20WendigoWay1.jpg

A few more ...

The sublime Betel Residence by Irving Grossman, on the Inventory and gorgeous. Thank God it seems to be owned by someone who recognizes its worth - it's in great shape.

BetelResidence1.jpg

139 Fairlawn, by Richard Librach Architects, which got a bit of press some years back. Restrained but elegant.

139FairlawnAve1.jpg

The winner in the "I want to live in an Airport Control Tower" category is 10 Elderberry Court in Armour Heights.

10ElderberryCt.jpg

And the "Dixie Cup Architecture Award" goes to 530 Cranbrooke Avenue.

530CranbrookeAve1.jpg

Back