Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Found this info on the MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects website.

"The $110 million Block 31 complex forms the CIVIC & COMMUNITY CENTRE of the Toronto railway lands redevelopment. Located north of the Gardiner Expressway / Lakeshore Blvd. corridor between Bathurst and Spadina Streets, the complex condenses several civic projects into a unified entity.
The project incorporates 350,000 square feet of family housing in an area of predominantly small residential units and opens onto the large central park that extends westward to Bathurst Street.
The perimeter of the project organizes several public institutions on the street: a Toronto District School Board Elementary School, a Toronto Catholic District School Board Elementary School, a City of Toronto Child Services Daycare Centre, and a City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation Public Recreation Centre. The public institutions are designed to interconnect to reduce operating costs and to share scheduling and facilities.
The project is meant to be a demonstration project for energy efficiency and sustainability. Joint venture architects MJMA and aA are working with Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH from Germany and Enermodal Engineering to achieve a LEED certification for the entire project and to propose an alternate civic form to the surrounding tower configurations.
The project is based on courtyard models that structure public space around usable public space connected directly to both the street and park surroundings.

Client/Owner City of Toronto
Toronto Community Housing Corporation
Toronto Catholic District School Board
Toronto District School Board
City of Toronto Child Services
City of Toronto Park, Forestry & Recreation

Project Area 510,000 sq.ft.
Construction Cost $110,000,000"

31_02.jpg

31_03.jpg

31_01.jpg

Thanks Alvin. Great to hear that there will be another library on Bathurst near my workplace. If I'm still working around there when the library is completed I'll definitely go there every day around lunch time.

From the title on the website they imply that this will be a LEED Gold development. This would be a major win for the city and neighbourhood should they pull this off.

Yes, block 31 is directly west of West 1/N2. So at 36 floors (based on the render) it will block a substantial portion of West 1 from view. Which is a good thing since it's fascade is the blandest of the city place buildings imo. Also it'll create a nice "stepping up" effect in terms of building heights.

AoD... I think of Cityplace as a developer's name by first reaction too, but in reality I guess Cityplace acts as a neighbourhood name much like LV ... for that the thread title 'Cityplace: Block 31' makes senses

I bet WestOne/N1/N2 west unit purchasers are gonna freak with the views blocks by the Block 31 tower ... when Concord Adex were selling those towers they emphasised block 31 was gonna be institutional/daycare and not a TOWER

thanks for the great info ProjectEnd !

No problem Solaris. There was some debate about this in the N1/West One thread awhile ago - if deemed appropriate, could mods could move that discussion here?

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here. Regarding block 31, I don't know if that proposal is up to date. I went into the Cityplace sales center about a week ago and was reassured that there will be no tower blocking my view from the west side of West one.

afterall these are Concord Adex sales people that you are talking to ... they wouldn't undermine their Cityplace buildings until there are signs/pictures posted on the Block 31 site

but we shall wait + see how this unfolds ...

Hi all, long time reader first time poster here. Regarding block 31, I don't know if that proposal is up to date. I went into the Cityplace sales center about a week ago and was reassured that there will be no tower blocking my view from the west side of West one.

If you read your agreement you'll realize that vendor clearly states that whatever sales person tells/assures you and/or whatever deal you make with one of them is not 'valid' unless you have it documented on paper.

Back