News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

Metropass holders to pay for parking?

indeed ... and wait till TTC decides to pair this announcement with the next fare hike ... with the 'management objective' to grow pubic transit ridership! ;)

Next stop: GO Transit! (But decrease fares while charging for parking.)

As GO increases service and creates an ever increasing demand for parking spots I would think that their current parking model will end up generating significant income for them from parking lots.

The more people who cannot find a spot when they show up for their train the more people will figure out that, for a small monthly fee ($50 which is about $2.25 per work day) you can guarantee a nice, convenient spot at GO stations!!

Exactly. It would encourage carpooling and taking local transit as well. I wouldn't advocate a high parking rate, I think $50 a month or so (with a $30-40 drop in the cost of a monthly pass), or $3 a day (with a $1 drop in the one-way fare) would be reasonable.

I would too agree with paying for parking @ monthly rate if the Metropass cost was reduced ... but realistically TTC would never drop rates (its a one way street ... going UP) ... plus if Metropass cost was reduced because of excluding free parking, TTC may end up losing more money (as Metropass also generate a high volume of sales to people in 416 who don't own cars at all)

Exactly. It would encourage carpooling and taking local transit as well. I wouldn't advocate a high parking rate, I think $50 a month or so (with a $30-40 drop in the cost of a monthly pass), or $3 a day (with a $1 drop in the one-way fare) would be reasonable.

What I was pointing out was that GO already has a mechanism for payed parking through the reserve a spot program. This fee is in place with the current fare structure so I highly doubt that the monthly pass cost will drop....I was simply suggesting that, as ridership grows, parking lots will get fuller a lot faster and more people will look to that option....and GO will generate more $50s per month as a result.....a tidy bit of business!

Next stop: GO Transit! (But decrease fares while charging for parking.)
Excellent idea. I'm tired of paying TTC fare to get to the GO station, while drivers park for free.

Though having a cash-only fare for TTC parking might be overkill. Why not a monthly parking pass - a daily amount may price it out of the market, and encourage people to drive instead.

What I was pointing out was that GO already has a mechanism for payed parking through the reserve a spot program. This fee is in place with the current fare structure so I highly doubt that the monthly pass cost will drop....I was simply suggesting that, as ridership grows, parking lots will get fuller a lot faster and more people will look to that option....and GO will generate more $50s per month as a result.....a tidy bit of business!

The flaw with the arguement is that $50 per month on top of the $180/month for the monthly GO pass will just make me drive my car to the city and park downtown for $150/month!
So much for the environment, I need to look out for myself too!

the cost is way over 150 dollars a Month imo.

The flaw with the arguement is that $50 per month on top of the $180/month for the monthly GO pass will just make me drive my car to the city and park downtown for $150/month!
So much for the environment, I need to look out for myself too!

There are many residential buildings downtown where you can rent parking spaces for $80 a month. ;)

I see parking as a necessary evil due to the current bus route coverage. If we want to reduce the strain on parking lots, we need to increase the number of local bus routes and GO shuttles. If I can walk five minutes to the bus stop and ride the bus to the train station, then driving to the station and hunting for parking that might not be there becomes very unattractive. If I have to walk 20 minutes to the bus stop for another 20 minute ride to the train station, then driving will cut the time getting to the train station in half.

It takes me 15 mins to go to a GO train station and 25 mins back by Car, however Bus would take 40 mins...

It takes me 15 mins to go to a GO train station and 25 mins back by Car, however Bus would take 40 mins...

I don't blame for wanting to drive if it takes double, but lets say they had a bus which took five more minutes than a car (including walking to the stop). Would you take it?

What about 10 minutes more?

I guess I'm asking where the limit is. How much time are you willing to give up in order to never have to pay / hunt for parking?

Back