Toronto King + Condos | 53.03m | 17s | King Plus | TACT Architecture

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
One of the lost hotels. Saw a sign in the window today that indicates an application has been made for an 18 storey building.

NATIONAL HOTEL, located at 249-251 King St. E., on the south east corner of King and Sherbourne St.
nationalhotel.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,822
Wow. Assuming this is residential, that would put new condos on 3 of the 4 corners of this intersection. In general I have been pleased to see the development in this area, but in this case, I think I would prefer to see this historic building be left alone rather than made into another facade like the one one on the NE corner. The existing building is attractive and a decent size for many potential uses, though I feel it is currently under-utilized by that dim legal firm that always keeps the blinds shuttered.

Also, East Lofts, the King East, Vu, Market Wharf and the new Distillery towers are already going to bring many thousands of new residents into this area over the next few years; when is enough enough, I wonder? Starting to get kinda nervous here...

I am horrified by this news. I used to live in Kings Court across the street and often admired this building. While I agree it is underutilized by the current law office, I would prefer to see it converted to retail than have it torn own for yet another condo. This is a lovely old building that contributes to the heritage look and feel of the neighbourhood.

I suppose if they do something like Kormann House and retain the whole original building (not just the facade) and add the new condo towards the back of it, I could hold my nose and accept this...

^I think that would be perfect here. It would make this intersection even more unique since King's Court did the same thing right across the street and it looks great.

Nice density developing here. Just think back 5 years ago or ao when both Mozo and King's Court were parking lots.

Yes. So at the very minimum this could help with the sorry state of its brick work.

I'd still prefer not to see this facade-d though.

Well it looks like the brickwork will be swiftly taken care of.

I'd be super cheesed if i was the Pita Land owners, however, as they just reopened from a multi-week renovation project. If i knew that the fate of my company was about to take a pretty swift change, I'm not 100% that i would have done the same... which leads me to believe that they may not have known.

This was in the lobby at King's Court today.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,588
According to the notice, the 3-storey building is classified as 'heritage' so how is it possible for the owner/developer to propose demolition of the building ???

Back