478     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The TTC's website for the Jane LRT is now up at: http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/jane_lrt/index.htm

Open Houses
  • Tuesday, August 26, 2008
    6:30pm to 9:00pm
    Jane Finch Mall
    1911 Finch Avenue West (SE corner of Finch Ave and Jane St)
  • Thursday, August 28, 2008
    6:30pm to 9:00pm
    Syme Woolner Community School - Gymnasium
    69 Pritchard Ave (north of Jane and St. Clair intersection, east of Jane)

The trouble is there are a few stretches of Jane St. north of St. Clair that's only 4 lanes wide, so I don't know how they expect this new streetcar to run on it's own right of way on those parts of the street.

It will probably be identical to the solution they use for the Don Mills line.

Surface was considered but there were problems with the amount of space it took up. Tunneling was looked at, but it's going to be expensive. The other option was a diversion along a more acceptable corridor. For Don Mills, using the Bayview Extension to Castle Frank was considered. For Jane, it could be a diversion along the Weston sub to Dundas West and into the core.

A south connection at Dundas West would make more sense and hopefully connect to the DRL.

Running down the tacks through Weston would cover allot more people although it’s going to have a fight for space with Blue 22 and GO.

A south connection at Dundas West would make more sense and hopefully connect to the DRL.

Running down the tacks through Weston would cover allot more people although it’s going to have a fight for space with Blue 22 and GO.

It would pass through the widest part of the corridor. Space would not be a problem.

But, as a point of correction, it would not pass anywhere near the community of Weston.

I thought the St. Clair extension would be included in the Jane LRT EA. I guess it will be a separate one.

If the St. Clair extension would have been included, I would have sent the St. Clair extension down under Jane Street to Bloor, while the Jane LRT would resurface at Dundas Street West to follow the railway right-of-way next to West Toronto Junction down to Dundas West Station. Then, whenever they are ready, the Downtown Relief Line could either continue as part of the Jane LRT or transfer with the Jane LRT at Dundas West, in whatever form it would be.

Add one more.

Running it into Jane Station would great, but going through Swansea to get to the core is a whole can of problems that we don't need.

I thought the St. Clair extension would be included in the Jane LRT EA. I guess it will be a separate one.

If the St. Clair extension would have been included, I would have sent the St. Clair extension down under Jane Street to Bloor, while the Jane LRT would resurface at Dundas Street West to follow the railway right-of-way next to West Toronto Junction down to Dundas West Station. Then, whenever they are ready, the Downtown Relief Line could either continue as part of the Jane LRT or transfer with the Jane LRT at Dundas West, in whatever form it would be.

The St Clair Extension has its own EA and that has been on the back burners due to the problems on St Clair these past few years. It was supposed to go out in 2005.

The St Clair line will connect with the Jane LRT with provision to go further west.

The only way Jane St can work is a tunnel south of Eglinton to Bloor or Queensway without removing a lane of traffic and parking.

Take a look at St Clair and Keele and you will see there is an ROW issue that prevent having tracks separate for the LRT from GO/CP/VIA/Blue22. It will only support 4 track. South of Dupont will support 6 or more tracks. That housing complex took the extra room for more tracks.

Until you get FRA standards reduce, you will have to run battleships on Jane.

I would advocate proper heavy rail (s-bahn) for the Weston sub with a transfer to a BRT line along Jane to the north. The bus service south of that, between Weston and Bloor, probably doesn't need any immediate improvements.

I think a connection, even if not on Jane, at Keele or east of it between Eglinton and St Clair LRTs is important for two reasons.

1. Eglinton LRT West could start as a St Clair extension until the tunnel is commissioned.
2. As a diversion route for a tunnel closure at any other time.

Obviously Jane would be a good option if it could be accomplished without undue grief.

I would advocate proper heavy rail (s-bahn) for the Weston sub with a transfer to a BRT line along Jane to the north. The bus service south of that, between Weston and Bloor, probably doesn't need any immediate improvements.

Humm!!! someone needs to ride the Jane buses

The 512 extension situation is interesting. The road surface on St. Clair west of Keele is in a terrible state. The surface is incredibly cracked, one lane is practically unusable because of the unevenness, and going eastbound past Symes, there's a seemingly random bottleneck where it loses a lane, but then it reappears several hundred metres away. It's long overdue for some thorough attention. Perhaps the reasoning was that it will all be done with the streetcar extension, because it's a waste of money to resurface, only to cut it up five years later for streetcar tracks. The streetcar needs to be extended already.

Back