Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning
660 Bay St, Toronto
Developer: Hospital for Sick Children

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: SickKids Hosp: Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning (Bay & Elm, 21s, DSAI)

1. Default

While MaRS is an excellent building, I wished it had been clad in something more vibrant, more reflective of the structures highly technical interior. This building accomplishes the effect of glamorized research, even if it has somewhat ponderous bones under that glass.

Name:  DSC_0185.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  98.9 KB

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
    You are being sarcastic of course, right?
    Nope, vegetable. The cladding on this one is in love-it-or-hate-it territory.

I'm waiting to see more, but so far I'm leaning towards door #2.

3. Default

Fine by me magus, but that's one lonely corner your inhabiting over there.
    Last edited by vegeta_skyline; 2012-Jan-04 at 22:10.

4. Default

I love this cladding, it's a serious change from the day-to-day blah garbage which this city produces, mainly in the form of drab green glass.
    Learn Here about the Tallest Towers Under Construction in TorontoThe Toronto Skyscraper Blog!

5. Default

You are being sarcastic of course, right?
    LOL. I like this particular green - its vibrant.

Group me in with the "love it" category. I don't see what there is to dislike. Sure, we all would have loved it to be made of marble and limestone but i wouldnt bank on that happening anytime soon. This is a matter of preference though. And those that dislike the cladding are entitled to that opinion, but I am curious to know what it is about the cladding people dislike...
    Thoughts?
    Images are not to be reprinted, reposted or used for any purposes whatsoever outside of the Urban Toronto forum without my express consent. Contact me via the following:

Website - Flickr Photostream - Twitter

I also love it. The shine and the seamlessness of it are what i noticed right away, can't wait to see the circular parts.

8. Default

Fine by me magus, but that's one lonely corner you guys are inhabiting over there.
    Wrong again. I respect that they went for it with the colour.

But thanks for trying anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Magus View Post
    Wrong again. I respect that they went for it with the colour.

But thanks for trying anyway.
    No I suspect he's right at least that most people on the board like how this building is turning out so far. Should we do another poll? Those seem to give a good indication of how the majority feel about things on this site.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mckarisma View Post
    No I suspect he's right at least that most people on the board like how this building is turning out so far. Should we do another poll? Those seem to give a good indication of how the majority feel about things on this site.
    Poll it if you want, what he got completely wrong was that I occupy some sort of figurative "corner".

I'm definitely leaning due to the shade, but I still can't decide whether the finished product will work or not.

The cladding on the middle section will make or break it for me.

I think it will depend on how those curvy parts pull everything together, but I am definitely optimistic.

I think the curves, and the sassy tartan/tweed fritted overcoat, work well with the general massiveness of the building, which is as delightfully unequivocal as we have come to expect from the best D+S buildings - Corus, the Four Seasons Centre etc.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by College Park View Post
    While MaRS is an excellent building, I wished it had been clad in something more vibrant, more reflective of the structures highly technical interior. This building accomplishes the effect of glamorized research, even if it has somewhat ponderous bones under that glass.

Name:  DSC_0185.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  98.9 KB
    For those disagreeing with College Park here, read his post carefully and you will see he is actually criticizing the cladding on MaRS, not Sick Kids.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mississauga Slim View Post
    you will see he is actually criticizing the cladding on MaRS, not Sick Kids.
    Strange, cause not one piece of cladding has yet gone up at MaRS

15. Default

MaRS Phase I.

AoD

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast