News   Apr 24, 2024
 718     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 948     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 564     0 

Greyhound: Apart from that, how was your experience today?

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok, I have to be the first to post this wonderfully bizarre and terrible story.

Man stabbed, decapitated on bus bound for Winnipeg
Updated Thu. Jul. 31 2008 8:17 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A young man travelling on a Greyhound bus bound for Winnipeg late Wednesday was stabbed to death and then decapitated in what appears to be a random act of violence, witnesses said.

According to passengers on the bus, the victim, between the ages of 18 to 20, was sleeping with his head against the window when the attack occurred.

"He was listening to music when suddenly the person next to him began to stab him in the neck with... a large butcher knife," CTV's Murray Oliver reported Thursday from Winnipeg, Man.

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the victim, heard the commotion and turned around thinking he was going to witness a fight.

Caton told CTV News that once he realized what was going on he screamed: "Stop the bus, somebody's getting stabbed, everyone get the hell off."

The bus driver pulled over on a section of the east-bound Trans-Canada Highway -- about 15 kilometres west of Portage la Prairie, Man -- and many of the 37 passengers began to flee the bus.

Canton gathered a small group of people to go back and help the victim, said Oliver.

"They returned to the back of the bus to find that the person who was stabbing the person in the neck had now sawed off the head of (the victim)."

The man, with the head in one hand and the butcher knife in the other, then tried to attack the other passengers, said Oliver.

The group was able to exit the bus and slammed the door behind them.

The man then stabbed the door with his knife but was unable to break through and get off the bus. Eventually, he attempted to start up the bus to drive away but the operator had hit a switch, disabling the vehicle.

Oliver said a truck driver then arrived at the scene and handed out wrenches and crowbars to several men. The small group gathered around the door to the bus and prevented the man from exiting until police arrived.

RCMP eventually arrested the man after a standoff lasting several hours, said Oliver.

Witnesses said the suspect was tall, large and wearing sunglasses, even though it was dark.

The bus was travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg.

The RCMP and Greyhound officials have confirmed that a "major incident" took place on the bus but few details have officially been released.

Hey, say what you will about the TTC, at least people tend to leave the bus with their head in Toronto.

My father once told me that the reason the rear window on the passenger side of the Fishbowls cannot be opened is that around the time he began as a driver during the 1970s, some guy stuck his arm out of an open window, and it got severed off when the bus drove by a light pole. Have no idea if this is true or not.

And I see no reason why the police didn't shoot this guy full of holes when he emerged from the bus holding that guy's head like some medieval battle trophy put on a stick.

And I see no reason why the police didn't shoot this guy full of holes when he emerged from the bus holding that guy's head like some medieval battle trophy put on a stick.

Because unless the scum was threatening the officers with the knife, then it would be murder, but I would like to see him dead also.

I already hate bus trips after being on one filled with weirdos for 56 hours to Alberta. This does not help one bit.

I wish they had, since unfortunately this guy will be back. I 100% guarantee you that this guy, or his lawyer, will claim some sort of mental defect defense, and then get a few years in an institution before being released. The same thing happened with that guy on the Danforth who stabbed some random passerby earlier this year, in that he too had been arrested charged, institutionalized and then released.

As a person who did the Calgary to Sudbury greyhound trips when I was younger, thats surprising but not overly. There was a few times I've had to fill out witness reports after someone started wailing on another guy for no reason. Now a days I only fly......

I wish they had, since unfortunately this guy will be back. I 100% guarantee you that this guy, or his lawyer, will claim some sort of mental defect defense, and then get a few years in an institution before being released.
Now, I don't know all the details here, but don't you think that passing judgement this early is a bit out of line? Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, the guy who stabbed someone to death with a butcher knife, sawed his head off, and then started attacking other passengers on a crowded grayhound bus with seemingly no motive might have some sort of mental problem? I'm all for punishing those who deserve it, but saying "Oh yeah screw that guy, he'll come up with some fake mental defect bullshit and get out in a few years" is extremely premature at this point, especially when the person could, for all we know, be utterly insane.

Now, I don't know all the details here, but don't you think that passing judgement this early is a bit out of line? Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, the guy who stabbed someone to death with a butcher knife, sawed his head off, and then started attacking other passengers on a crowded grayhound bus with seemingly no motive might have some sort of mental problem? I'm all for punishing those who deserve it, but saying "Oh yeah screw that guy, he'll come up with some fake mental defect bullshit and get out in a few years" is extremely premature at this point, especially when the person could, for all we know, be utterly insane.
I didn't say that such as defense would be a BS excuse or lie. He might genuinely be mentally deranged. What I said is that this fellow or his lawyer will likely claim a mental defect defense, resulting in the avoidance of hard jail time, and instead he'll be institutionalized, and eventually medicated and set free....waiting to strike again. I said nothing about faking an excuse.

Sick, My friend heard about this over in england it was on the bbc news there.

Back