Toronto Nicholas Residences | ?m | 35s | Urban Capital | Core Architects

jaborandi

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a planning application for a 44-storey condo at this site which is just west of Yonge between St. Mary & Irwin. Currently, there is a respectable if somewhat restrained 3-storey brick commercial building, probably Victorian, on the site. This is a charming block with an intact row of Victorian houses (each named after a variety of tree) on the east side and some larger, but accommodating 1980's row houses on the west side. Not a bad addition at all. The well treed street itself is narrow and paved with brick. All in all, quite an intimate block. Not really a great place for a 44-storey tower.

I live in the area, and the Bay-Bloor Corridor Association was knocking on doors to sign up residents for their mailing list, and also to let them know about the proposal. I was told that it's for a 44-story building that would replace the two low-rise red brick buildings which are used by St. Regis College (who are relocating to Queen's Park Cres.). It would be to the immediate north of the row of cottages, and right behind the Scientology building. I'm told it's a glass design and resembles a "peanut". They didn't know who the developer was.

This is the same area where the residents worked relatively well with the developer and Councillor on the "U Condos" at St. Michaels College. I think there will be reasonable concerns about design, wind, light, etc, but nothing massive. I would expect that some of the owners of the small townhouses along St. Nicholas to raise a fuss though.

Aside from U to the West, CASA and BSN are also going up directly east of this potential site. There will be blood here, but I believe this will change very little from vision to construction.

In that case, there's a parking lot next to the old Planters factory at Dupont + Christie which might use a new condo tower...

I've seen the renderings for this one and I was pretty impressed with the design, the architect on this building is CORE Architects.

I've seen the renderings for this one and I was pretty impressed with the design, the architect on this building is CORE Architects.

That's pretty cool. They've done quite a few Toronto towers. A lot of them are starting to take on a very similar look though. Hopefully this one is more unique!

Ugh, why is it that everything developer thinks they can build a 40-50 storey tower on any random street? Hopefully the condo market will fall apart before this can move beyond the planning stage...

/\ Not quite sure how this is "any random street" since it is close to tall towers both completed and under construction. When one assesses the site, one must remember that it the city (this area in particular) is constantly changing. Personally, I welcome this development and can't wait to see the renders.

Ugh, why is it that everything developer thinks they can build a 40-50 storey tower on any random street? Hopefully the condo market will fall apart before this can move beyond the planning stage...

In this part of the city I don't see anything wrong with a 40-50 storey tower, or potentially taller in the right circumstances. Its an absolutely ideal location for development, close to (or in depending on who you talk to) Yorkville, and almost right on two subway lines, as the its walking distance to Yonge and Bloor. Plus once you take into account the Uptown its not even the tallest building in the immediate area

Back