News   Mar 28, 2024
 45     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Hakim Optical - Dundas Square

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

cassiusa

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned somewhere before but I can't find the post. There's a rendering up for the Hakim Optical building on the south side of Dundas just east of Torch. Does anyone know if they're just going to change the facade or if it'll be redeveloped?

They are adding several (3 or 5, can't remember) floors to the top all wrapped in glass.

The real question is what's going to happen to the current Hakim location?

hopefully demolish it and build something that ties in with the metropolis theme

HakimOptical-July24,06(1).jpg

What...is....that?

Wow. This had totally slipped under my radar. Wasn't there a plan to put something a bit more, um, important there?

I once heard that Mr. Hakim has one car for every day of the week.

(nobody say I don't pull my weight around here)

Wasn't there a plan to put something a bit more, um, important there?

I don't think so. This isn't the current Hakim location on the north-east corner of Victoria and Dundas. This is the boarded up building between the Torch and Bond Place hotel. It used to be on Penequity's site when they were trying to lease it out as is for a restaurant/nightclub.

^
Yeah, I remember that. I recall it was going to be a pretty big flashy club. Maybe the torch scared them off.

Crap! Hakim needs to get his eyes checked. And this city needs to set up that architectural review panel lickety-split. (And the city needs to draw from this pool for the panel.)

That location needs something taller and grander to tone down the ugly it will border.

Is that rendering real or a joke? I can't tell anymore these days.

If there's a positive to this development, it's the growth of the commercial district east along Dundas.

^ Oh it's real.

Luckily, even though the area is heavily trafficked, it's in a fairly non-descript location. Torch will block it out of sight for the most part from Dundas Square.

Back