Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Finally we're hearing about this again. That surface parking lot is currently one of the remaining eyesores at Harbourfront after the recent renovations.

Good stuff, we are moving along!

Thankfully this project didn't just fall off the face of the earth like so many other Liberal promised Waterfront projects.

Louroz

Waterfront: Canada Square

I found this render on architectsalliance.com :

picture1se8.png

Has anybody heard anything about this? I know that last time this was mentioned, we were waiting for Federal funding (Canada Sq. is funded by.. uh.. Canada).

This would be amazing - that stupid parking lot can't vanish soon enough.

wow, that would be a great improvement! I love how they added a section of boardwalk that actually juts out into the harbour...

I'd like to see that fountain converted into a splash pad, a slab of polished granite with a very shallow (1/2") of water similar to Crown Fountain in Chicago's Millenium Park.

When by the water, people are inclined to interact with it, touch it. We can't really do that yet because the quality of the water in the harbour isn't good but something like this would allow people to walk in the water and if they so wanted, get wet.

the-crown-fountain-1.jpg

il_chicago_millennium_crown.jpg

20070421175040_lensimpressions-mp-04.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the faces in Chicago, but I like the idea of the shallow pool. If I'm not mistaken one rendering I saw had a wood column with Simcoe at the top (in a Nelson/Trafalgar Square sort of way) near Queens Quay at the foot of the pool. Wouldn't mind seeing that either, we need more history, especially in this part of the city where it's all relatively new.

I can't wait for this part of the project to be completed... it will be a great edition to our waterfront... I hate parking lots!

The space and the concept are fantastic! The design is a little underwhelming though, would love a little more spectacle for such a site. The rendering is a little vague though.

Good eye Ziggy. I looked at your link and found it in there in tiny print.

I don't think the above render is final. It's bunched in with AA's work of the Harbourfront boardwalk which was signed, sent & delivered without Canada Sq. being funded and built. It looks to be more of a concept to integrate into their Harbourfront work.

I hope this one sees an international competition. Considering the competitions having been held for all the major projects for the waterfront, I'm sure this one will have one too.

I'm not a big fan of the faces in Chicago, but I like the idea of the shallow pool.

I think you need to experience it in person to really fall in love with it like I did. The faces give you telltale signs that water is going to spit out and eventually fall down from above in a large drop. The faces get you anticipating the physical interaction with the water and it does an excellent job of putting you in contact with regular Chicagoans. It's quite unique.

The space and the concept are fantastic! The design is a little underwhelming though, would love a little more spectacle for such a site. The rendering is a little vague though.

Yes I'd have to agree. It needs more oomph for sure!

Back