News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Front Street Construction by TTC

cacruden

Member Bio
Reaction score
On Front Street East part of the street is cordoned off (just past Yonge), and the construction crew are wearing TTC jackets. Does anyone know what they are working on?

Well, they are working on the second platform for the Union subway station, on the south side of the existing platform. But that's on Front Street West, just west of Bay.

East of Yonge? Not much TTC does there except run the Pape bus.

It sort of surprised me.... I saw the area cordoned off, and some construction crew. It seems like a fair distance away to be using as a staging area for the subway construction, but one of the metal rails looks like it is for tracks - but more sturdy than for streetcar - maybe it is just a staging area for materials.

Something funny here. Union station expansion will not be realigning rails and they're a long way from having the platform installed as the utility work just finished (June).

Secondly, I understand the subway rail and LRT rail is the same. Connections, switches, signals etc. are different, but the actual straight rail segments are the same (please correct me on that if it is wrong).

Church street track rebuild from about King through to Carlton recently started with rail welding taking place at Church and King. That's a little bit East of Yonge and north of Front. I expect this is what was seen.

There's a notice about this in my building.

Its for the Church Street reconstruction of tracks from King north to Carlton. The individual rails are being stored here. They will then be welded together into longer sections and stored along Church between Front and King. From there they will be installed along Church north of King.

Here is a visual, taken today at lunch during a drive-by.

2649625237_3551988e68_o.jpg

This took place on St Clair and it is the same for Front St.
March 30-08 Splicing rails
March 30-08

Front/Church July 8-08
Photo's
TTC rail move 1
TTC rail move 2
TTC rail move 3

Interesting videos, as the rails are all still on Front Street it looks as though they mis-calculated about getting them round that corner. What now - a new streeetcar line on Front?

Next place we will see this welding activity is, I think, Parliament. They are supposed to lay new rail from Gerrard to King starting in September.

I was wondering about that. On Monday they put large orange pylons down the middle of Church between Wellington and Front. They moved some track that day to Church. A day or so later they removed the track and pylons. The pylons are now sitting on the sidewalk. Oops.

The announcement of all this, and the re-routing of the 503 streetcar - has now vanished from the TTC website. Are there some "Rocket Red" faces at TTC HQ??

I heard from the TTC today, the track-work on Church and Parliament is postponed, one wonders how much the unnecessary welding of rails cost, and if the track can last another year.

"The track work on both Church Street and Parliament Street have been delayed as a result of the inclusion of a watermain and lead water service elimination component. This will push work on both the contracts to tentatively 2009."

Back