Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Design of The Well Development at Spadina and Front Evolving
ALSO
Page 838 of 838 FirstFirst ... 338738788828836837838
Results 12,556 to 12,560 of 12560

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

1. Default

This is my first then-and-now post and I'm fully aware that it's underwhelming. But it is a) close to where I live and b) an indication that some things in Toronto haven't changed all that much in 80 years, despite the mass destruction going on elsewhere...

Name:  lame hepbourne and ossington.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  660.7 KB

More to come...
    Last edited by Casca; 2015-Mar-24 at 03:00.

2. Default

what are the chances that pole is the very same one?? Even the sidewalk with manhole cover look identical

Quote Originally Posted by Koolgreen View Post
    what are the chances that pole is the very same one?? Even the sidewalk with manhole cover look identical
    It probably is the same pole. You can see the faded paint from the old fire call-box, which is visible as a different shade of black-grey in the Then view. Sadly the tree just barely visible at left in the Then view is now a stump. Great photos.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    This is my first then-and-now post and I'm fully aware that it's underwhelming. But it is a) close to where I live and b) an indication that some things in Toronto haven't changed all that much in 80 years, despite the mass destruction going on elsewhere...

Name:  lame hepbourne and ossington.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  660.7 KB

More to come...
    However, the "destruction" illustrated in the "now" is much more subtle: bad windows, removed porches, lost bay windows, etc. The overall harmony of the original streetscape on many streets like Ossington has been lessened over the years.

Projection room added to Royal Alex

Brief news item (The Weekly Building Reporter, June 14, 1930), strangely without mention of the name of the famous theatre: "Lawrence Solman, 260 King W., install projection room in theatre 260 King W., near Simcoe ............... $4,000."

Name:  RoyalAlex.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  477.1 KB