Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Daily Headlines: News From the Internet for December 18, 2014
ALSO
Page 825 of 825 FirstFirst ... 325725775815823824825
Results 12,361 to 12,367 of 12367

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

1. Default

An interesting shot I saw posted on another group a couple of days ago. Which city are you in?

(it's a film set) :-)

Name:  0c6Si7E.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  137.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Montreal88 View Post
    An interesting shot I saw posted on another group a couple of days ago. Which city are you in?

(it's a film set) :-)

Name:  0c6Si7E.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  137.4 KB
    I'm game:

It's obviously Toronto; standing in as New York?

And,... the film set is SUITS; just another guess. I've seen their sets around Toronto and seen their props.

...and I guess the garbage can is just floating there.
    "Without Sicily, Italy leaves no image in the soul. Sicily is the key to everything." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
    I'm game:

It's obviously Toronto; standing in as New York?

And,... the film set is SUITS; just another guess. I've seen their sets around Toronto and seen their props.
    I walked past that the other day. One of set crew said it was something called Beauty and the Beast? Maybe I misheard. Anyway, there was also a NYC-style newsstand and a pretzel cart.

There is no such station on the 4 or 5, FWIW, and there was a fake street sign nearby saying Eastin with an i, for some reason.

5. Default

Suits takes passing off Toronto as New York to the edge of what's acceptable. They film throughout the Financial District and surrounding areas on occasion without blurring the background or changing any streetscape features beyond the newspaper boxes and taxis. The streets are clearly the streets of Toronto with our distinctive street lights. You can even see streetcar tracks in street scenes. They show panned shots of Scotia Plaza and the Bay-Adelaide Centre as the exterior of the New York office building where the law firm in the show is supposedly located.

They pass off the Canada-Life Building as just another New York landmark. In a 30 second scene that's actually set in Toronto, they had to blur the background at King and Simcoe--they must have been concerned that it would confuse some people watching the show.

Queen and Yonge.

1977, March I think, photographed by Robert McMann, Notice the hoarding has gone up around the old Eaton's store.

Name:  4490 1977 RDM.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  281.7 KB

Now, December 2014

Name:  4125 2014 QUEEN & YONGE.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  312.8 KB

7. Default

That woman in the fur on the left of the '77 photo is really struttin'