Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Insider Q&A: Bryan Tuckey of BILD
ALSO
Page 820 of 820 FirstFirst ... 320720770810818819820
Results 12,286 to 12,294 of 12294

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

  1. #12286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the lemur View Post
    It's certainly intriguing. I haven't found anything on maps yet, but there's this in the Toronto Archives:

    Attachment 37797

    Looking north on Fairview from Evelyn

    http://goo.gl/maps/72viS


    More of the Crescent Line (never heard of this until now):

    Attachment 37798


    ETA: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/23053




    July 2014. Fairview looking N from Evelyn.



  2. #12287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
    July 2014. Fairview looking N from Evelyn.

    The routing of the Toronto Suburban Railway Crescent line was from Keele and Dundas, west on Dundas, south on Gilmour Avenue, east on St John's Road, south on Fairview Avenue to Evelyn Crescent. The track on Gilmour, St. John's and Fairview was single track in the middle of the road. At the time, St John's Road was called Louisa Street, but it was renamed to avoid confusion with the Louisa Street in downtown Toronto.

    Today, Fairview is still wider than neighbouring streets, as may be St Johns between Gilmour and Fairview and its associated intersections. For many years the former track allowance was paved differently than the rest of the streets and this was very noticeable, but this distinction disappeared when the roads were reconstructed after the 1950s.

  3. Default

    [QUOTE=thecharioteer;385415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post

    March 25 addition.


    Goldie sent me the 1912 Toronto archive picture below of Bathurst street going into and out of Nordheimer ravine. He suggested I check to see if the hill was still that steep nowadays. Always curious myself I decided to go have a look. Note the line of hydro poles. View is looking north.








    What a great picture! I've never seen this one before.

    It's contemporary with this one, which looks like it would be looking south from the bridge:




    Two old "Nows and Thens" from a history of the Township of York;



    The "new" bridge (replaced, I believe in the 80's by the current one):

    I hope it's alright to dig up the old posts I missed and add a little info.

    When they rebuilt the Bathurst street bridge in the 80's they demolished the entire old bridge in one go, not half at a time like they seem to do these days to keep traffic flowing. Just prior to demolition they put up a huge two lane Bailey bridge, steel with a wood deck. It was built on the west side of the new bridge and traffic had to take a bit of a circuitous route to get on and off the Bailey at both ends.

    As I remember it there was no issue at the north end of the bridge but at the south end there was a house owned by the Morin family, at what would be the south west corner of the new bridge, that had to come down for the cars to get by.

    You can see this house in the 1954 picture above which is taken looking west with the house on the other side of the bridge on the left, you may remember this family had a son who would later become famous in Canada, Guy Paul.
    Last edited by Toronto Lad; Yesterday at 11:51.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    The routing of the Toronto Suburban Railway Crescent line was from Keele and Dundas, west on Dundas, south on Gilmour Avenue, east on St John's Road, south on Fairview Avenue to Evelyn Crescent
    That seems like a really awkward set of turns. I wonder why it didn't just go west on St John's Rd from Dundas and then south on Fairview?

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    Can you share any evidence you have of this wye? I am not aware of one on the Crescent line.
    I wouldn't call this evidence but I did read it here;

    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/23053

  6. #12291
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Junction/BWV
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    The routing of the Toronto Suburban Railway Crescent line was from Keele and Dundas, west on Dundas, south on Gilmour Avenue, east on St John's Road, south on Fairview Avenue to Evelyn Crescent. The track on Gilmour, St. John's and Fairview was single track in the middle of the road. At the time, St John's Road was called Louisa Street, but it was renamed to avoid confusion with the Louisa Street in downtown Toronto.

    Today, Fairview is still wider than neighbouring streets, as may be St Johns between Gilmour and Fairview and its associated intersections. For many years the former track allowance was paved differently than the rest of the streets and this was very noticeable, but this distinction disappeared when the roads were reconstructed after the 1950s.
    Runnymede Road was also renamed due to duplication (was Elizabeth Street). I wonder if the track route has anything to do with why Gilmour, Fairview etc take a curious jog about a half block south of St. John's.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbdid View Post
    Runnymede Road was also renamed due to duplication (was Elizabeth Street). I wonder if the track route has anything to do with why Gilmour, Fairview etc take a curious jog about a half block south of St. John's.
    I assumed the jog was similar to the situation in Little Italy with Montrose and Dewson: an underground creek.

    Gilmour appears on old maps to have been discontinuous where it now meets Maher with a sort of traffic circle - I can imagine streetcars going around it but that probably wasn't the case.

  8. Default

    [QUOTE=Toronto Lad;953898]
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharioteer View Post

    I hope it's alright to dig up the old posts I missed and add a little info.

    When they rebuilt the Bathurst street bridge in the 80's they demolished the entire old bridge in one go, not half at a time like they seem to do these days to keep traffic flowing. Just prior to demolition they put up a huge two lane Bailey bridge, steel with a wood deck. It was built on the west side of the new bridge and traffic had to take a bit of a circuitous route to get on and off the Bailey at both ends.

    As I remember it there was no issue at the north end of the bridge but at the south end there was a house owned by the Morin family, at what would be the south west corner of the new bridge, that had to come down for the cars to get by.

    You can see this house in the 1954 picture above which is taken looking west with the house on the other side of the bridge on the left, you may remember this family had a son who would later become famous in Canada, Guy Paul.
    Thanks for the repost, Toronto Lad. Forgot I posted these a long time ago! Regarding the house at the SW corner of the bridge (just north of the Heathdale corner): not sure if we're talking about the same house, but I remember a large Tudor house, set back and fronting Bathurst. It was owned by the Canadian Legion (General Wingate branch) and my father (ex-RCAF) used to go to meetings there. It was expropriated by Metro to allow for an off-ramp for the planned Spadina Expressway and the site remains empty today. Same house you're referring to?

    From a planning report on the Spadina Expressway 1961:



    Last edited by thecharioteer; Today at 11:21.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the lemur View Post
    I assumed the jog was similar to the situation in Little Italy with Montrose and Dewson: an underground creek.

    Gilmour appears on old maps to have been discontinuous where it now meets Maher with a sort of traffic circle - I can imagine streetcars going around it but that probably wasn't the case.
    I'm wondering if the jog has more to do with different, and non-cooperative, subdivision plots...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •