Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
City Unveils Upgraded Transportation Operations Centre
ALSO
Page 797 of 797 FirstFirst ... 297697747787795796797
Results 11,941 to 11,944 of 11944

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

1. Default

Nice pic, Goldie! Here's another one, from 1927, showing the tracks along the Esplanade being relocated for the "new" Union Station:

Name:  esplanade_yonge.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  87.2 KB

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thecharioteer View Post
    Nice pic, Goldie! Here's another one, from 1927, showing the tracks along the Esplanade being relocated for the "new" Union Station:

Name:  esplanade_yonge.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  87.2 KB
    It'd be nice to have a "Now" from that angle. Where's that 'drone' when we need it?

Here's something regarding the upcoming anniversary of WWI:

3. Default

One of my ancestors was CO of the 12th York Rangers (127th Battalion). When they formed up, there was no room left in the Exhibition grounds for training, so they got permission to occupy the newly finished Kodak building in Weston.

They were invited to take part in the Division marching competition at Exhibition park, marching from Weston to arrive at the gate to the race track at a stated time. “It was for us to work out our marching time to arrive at Exhibition gate at the time required. We went over the ground carefully and noted where we would take our 10 halts. It was nine miles for us to march and we were to march at attention for 10 minutes after each halt with the band playing Bonny Dundee…. My final talk to the men was to take a firm step so as not to jar the body, and to cover off correctly so that the head of the man in front would cover the head in front of him. I told them to take extra care on their corners so that they would not swing out of line…. The hill down Bathurst St. was a picture taken by many spectators – a thousand men marching four abreast down the west side of the street with four straight lines of heads in perfect lines." They arrived at the Exhibition gate three minutes early and were awarded a large silver cup given by “the York newspapers” for the best-trained battalion in the Division.

4. Default

"One of my ancestors was CO of the 12th York Rangers (127th Battalion)."
    nostalgic.

Please contact me, as I have something of interest.

Regards,
    J T.
    416-527- Three zero three Zero.
    IF only I had of questioned then, for the answers needed now . . .