News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 752     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I thought I would throw my Then and Now pictures into a new thread. No rhyme or reason here and I also thought I'd do some obscure locations.

I'll add to this thread as I casually peruse the Toronto Archives picture image resources and run errands around Toronto accompanied by my trusty Fuji F20 camera.

Ford Street, north from Davenport.
Then.
fo1231_f1231_it0508.jpg

Now.
IMG_0025.jpg

Dundas and Gooch
Then.
ser71_s0071_it2754.jpg

Now.
IMG_0024.jpg

Last edited:
Macpherson and Avenue Road

Then:
fo1244_f1244_it5046-1.jpg

Now from a ground level perspective:
DSCF0333.jpg

Now from the top of the embankment perspective:
DSCF0332.jpg

Now. A close up of the charming small row houses in the old photo.
DSCF0334.jpg

Woburn Avenue, just a few feet east of Avenue Road. Shoppers Drug Mart parking lot.

Then. That's Otter creek you see in this old pic. It's still uncovered in some places in North Toronto., ie., beside Glenview Public school.

fo1231_f1231_it1864.jpg

Now. None of the old buildings exist anymore. Cranbrooke Avenue runs through where the distant farmhouse is.

P1000205.jpg

Then. This is Castlefield Avenue. Just west of Rosewell. The same Otter creek but about a mile south still had to be bridged.

fo1231_f1231_it1531.jpg

Now. The gully is still recognizable in the neighbourhood landscape.

P1000204.jpg

My grandfather opened a business on nearby Yonge street in 1926. He told me he gathered wild watercress in this gully. He also told me his friends told him his business wouldn't do well; being so far out of the city.

Thanks adma and 'booty'.

Hee-eey ... there boys and girls. Have a puff on Mustapha's 'back-in-time' ciggy and be maaaaa-gicallly transported to the northeast corner of Spadina and Dundas circa 1969.;)

Kid:

'Dad, can we get something to eat in here?'

Dad:

'No, you just ate.'

Kid:

'Dad, can we go see the show in here?'

Dad:

'No, it's not that kind of theatre.'

Kid:

'I know that. They make 'em wear pas**ties on their n**les so the Morality Squad leaves this joint alone.'

Dad:

'Why I oughta wash your mouth out with soap, kid.

Cue action scene: Mid-century style corporal-punishment-in-public for kid. [bam] [bam] [bam bam bam]

<look closely at picture - see man spanking kid>

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0246_id0005.jpg

Some OCA friends and I went into the Victory, during the daytime, shortly before it was renovated in the early '70s - the floors were sticky underfoot.

Not a 'Then and Now' theme here: Wandering up Yonge at Summerhill late last night

and came across this. Creative and spooky.:)

DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

This is my first post here, and I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post in as:

a) My interests focus on Toronto street photography
b) Further to that, I'm extremely interested in the "Now and Then" format, and I think Mustapha has done a wonderful job to this end.

Excellent photos all. I could (and plan to) spend many an hour here when I should probably be working. ;)

All of my own photos are located on my photoblog (http://www.fabricated.ca/photos) which I plan to add to my sig shortly.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

This is my first post here, and I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post in as:

a) My interests focus on Toronto street photography
b) Further to that, I'm extremely interested in the "Now and Then" format, and I think Mustapha has done a wonderful job to this end.

Excellent photos all. I could (and plan to) spend many an hour here when I should probably be working. ;)

All of my own photos are located on my photoblog (http://www.fabricated.ca/photos) which I plan to add to my sig shortly.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

Cbab, Welcome and thank you for the compliment.:)

Best wishes,

-Moose

Back