Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Engineering Greener Development: Bioswales to Bioretention
ALSO
Page 561 of 811 FirstFirst ... 61461511551559560561562563571611661 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,415 of 12165

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

  1. #8401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Kontiki.
    I entirely agree with your assessment of the situation.
    But now I'm even more curious.
    Is there any other example of an acronym in which a letter stands for 'nothing'?
    I can't think of one. - 'Stock symbols' excepted, of course.
    Is BMO in a class by itself?
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this, but if someone else here can verify, we may have a solution.

    I seem to recall in the early days of internet banking, the Bank of Montreal introduced their online presence as the "Bank of Montreal Online". There seemed to be, for a while, two names floating about: Bank of Montreal, and Bank of Montreal Online. I think they consolidated with BMO, taking the initials from the aforementioned Bank of Montreal Online.

    But that's a vague memory from 15+ years ago.


  2. #8402

    Default

    I contacted the BMO head office for clarification.
    Here's the official answer:
    "I can advise that 'BMO' is the abbreviation of the name Bank of Montreal. BOM would be the abbreviation in English for Bank of Montreal; however in French the abbreviation is BDM for Banque de Montreal. Therefore, the BMO abbreviation is used as it is accepted in both languages. In addition, the Stock Exchanges have also assigned us the abbreviation of BMO."

  3. #8403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earlscourt_Lad View Post
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this, but if someone else here can verify, we may have a solution.

    I seem to recall in the early days of internet banking, the Bank of Montreal introduced their online presence as the "Bank of Montreal Online". There seemed to be, for a while, two names floating about: Bank of Montreal, and Bank of Montreal Online. I think they consolidated with BMO, taking the initials from the aforementioned Bank of Montreal Online.

    But that's a vague memory from 15+ years ago.
    Lest we forget


  4. #8404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adma View Post
    That's the ticket!

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
    Heya, it's the weekend and it's time to fun it up a little.

    Click on the link below. Enter 'Toronto' into the search box. You'll hate me and wonder how you let me keep you from doing anything else this weekend.

    Don't mention it.

    http://www.britishpathe.com/
    Thanks that was good viewing!

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wwwebster View Post
    Yes. Uh-oh, does this mean you’ve been researching the wrong side of the street?

    Assuming not, the attached image shows the storefronts of Peter C. Allan at 35 King West and Richard B. Butland at 37 King West. Not sure of the date.
    Hi wwwebster, it has been a while! Also I am terrible at finding a post when I do not respond to it right away! OK, so this is interesting that they changed. No damage done on the research side of things

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wwwebster View Post
    ....the attached image shows the storefronts of Peter C. Allan at 35 King West and Richard B. Butland at 37 King West. Not sure of the date.
    Date would have to be after 1861 then. Thanks for another photo/contextualizer!

  8. #8408

    Default

    Pape Ave., one block above Danforth, at Lipton - 1927



    Original house is still visible behind new storefronts - 2012
    Subway station under renovation (behind green barrier).

    Goldie

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Earlscourt_Lad View Post
    I think they consolidated with BMO
    Ugh, I've always hated that they went with that and went common as "bee-mo". It's cringing. It sounds like a Scouting euphemism for something you do while you're in the KYBO.
    Last edited by Lone Primate; 2012-Mar-24 at 10:10.

  10. #8410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Pape Ave., one block above Danforth, at Lipton - 1927



    Original house is still visible behind new storefronts - 2012
    Subway station under renovation (behind green barrier).


    We don't see many Then and Nows of houses turned into storefronts. It's always interesting visually to see what was lost and at the same time what is still there looming out from the back. I have an interest in naval history and a similar analogy would be those battleships converted into aircraft carriers.

  11. #8411

    Default

    Hey it's the weekend again.

    This link is somewhat related to Then and Now. Cindy Sherman is a visual artist and photographer who uses herself as the subject in surreal and fantasy photographic compositions. I say somewhat related because she has been doing this for over thirty years. Be warned, some of her work can be upsetting.

    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...9-SHERMAN.html

  12. #8412

    Default

    Yes, Sherman has been playing her game for a long, long time.
    Much more of her work is at this site:

    http://www.moma.org/interactives/exh...dysherman/#/7/
    Last edited by Goldie; 2012-Mar-24 at 21:59.

  13. #8413

    Default

    "In Vibrant Color, Vintage Celebrity Portraits."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/ar...3CR5CgqA3JXXNg

    Emma Stone reminds me so much of the young Lucille Ball...

  14. #8414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
    In my Now picture the young lady is in front of our vanished entrance. An interesting question.. what might lie underneath the concrete.

    For those of you interested in this kind of exploration, go to the NE corner of Yonge and Queen. Walk a few paces E on Queen to the grate in the middle of the sidewalk - now look down, and see the ghostly steps that once went down into the Queen subway.
    I think I know the spot you mean, but any chance someone could go there and point a camera down that grate for the benefit of those of us who aren't in Toronto?

  15. #8415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Browning Avenue View Post
    I think I know the spot you mean, but any chance someone could go there and point a camera down that grate for the benefit of those of us who aren't in Toronto?
    ok Browning Avenue,.. unless someone beats me to it, give me a few days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •