Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Photo of the Day: Summer Evening
ALSO
Page 3 of 803 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Default Sep 9 additions

Yonge and Adelaide looking north.

Looking at the southwest corner of Queen and Parliament from the east side of Parliament.

I wonder if the underground public restroom is still buried under the sidewalk or was it filled in?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I wonder if the underground public restroom is still buried under the sidewalk or was it filled in?
    It would be cool if it's still under there along with the fixtures. Near the Greenwich Museum in London there is an underground public toilet that must date back to Victorian times; original fixtures; still in everyday use.

Default What's that thing over the street?

Sep 23 additions

Simpsons store then.

Bay store now.

That thing over the street? It bridged the N and S St. Lawrence Markets. The bridge was taken down about 1954; N St. Lawrence followed suit about a decade and a half later...

Did it have some use beyond being a canopy?

Default Oct 7 additions

Looking north up Yonge towards Observatory Lane, Richmond Hill. This is just north of 16th Ave, across the road from Hillcrest mall.

Guess the closest main intersection. Queen and ???? If you do, you will win... My respect.

Lakeshore looking west from Bathurst. In the modern perspective I am about 1/2 way inside that lineup.

The old Maple Leaf Stadium

Guess the closest main intersection. Queen and ???? If you do, you will win... My respect.
    Queen and Broadview.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Black View Post
    Queen and Broadview.
    Bingo! And if you really are Conrad Black - and married to the once luscious Barbara; you have my endoubled respect.

I wonder if the cinema is still intact at that location? It still looks similar from the exterior.

11. Default

That picture of Observatory Lane is amazing! Especially since I live just to the other side of Yonge down Baif.

Thanks Mustapha!
    My Photos on Flickr
    @smuncky

"The best car-related innovation we have is not to improve the car, but eliminate the need to drive it everywhere we go. -Alex Steffen

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tewder View Post
    I wonder if the cinema is still intact at that location? It still looks similar from the exterior.
    I was in there on an Art walk a few years ago....it looks like they gutted anything resembling a cinema on the inside.

I notice they refaced that little building with grey stone too. Last time I walked by its brick surface was in shambles, and looked as if it was going to fall on my head.

Default Oct 14 additions

Dug out some old pamphlets. Enjoy.

Published in 1969.

Harbour 1948

Harbour 1969

Sunnyside 1948

Sunnyside 1969

Yonge and Davisville 1949

Yonge and Davisville 1969

Yonge and Eg 1949

Yonge and Eg 1969

Publication date 1959; a selection of pages with interesting visuals

And just for the heck of it. My trusty Fuji that takes most of the images I've posted at UT.

15. Default

I always wondered why the subway yard was pushed into Davisville when they had all sorts of empty land south of Union.