Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Council Greenlights Many New Developments Across Toronto
ALSO
Page 1 of 806 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Default Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Hello everyone. I thought I would throw my Then and Now pictures into a new thread. No rhyme or reason here and I also thought I'd do some obscure locations.

I'll add to this thread as I casually peruse the Toronto Archives picture image resources and run errands around Toronto accompanied by my trusty Fuji F20 camera.

Ford Street, north from Davenport.
    Then.

Now.

Dundas and Gooch
    Then.

Now.
    Last edited by Mustapha; 2011-Jan-02 at 23:12.

Default Macpherson and Avenue Road

Then:

Now from a ground level perspective:

Now from the top of the embankment perspective:

Now. A close up of the charming small row houses in the old photo.

Man, light rail went everywhere back in the day...
    flickr

• cats are OK - purrr
    • dogs are OK - wooof

Default Woburn Avenue, just a few feet east of Avenue Road. Shoppers Drug Mart parking lot.

Then. That's Otter creek you see in this old pic. It's still uncovered in some places in North Toronto., ie., beside Glenview Public school.

Now. None of the old buildings exist anymore. Cranbrooke Avenue runs through where the distant farmhouse is.

Then. This is Castlefield Avenue. Just west of Rosewell. The same Otter creek but about a mile south still had to be bridged.

Now. The gully is still recognizable in the neighbourhood landscape.

My grandfather opened a business on nearby Yonge street in 1926. He told me he gathered wild watercress in this gully. He also told me his friends told him his business wouldn't do well; being so far out of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
    Memo to whomever owns that apartment: spare thy signage.

6. Default

As always... great comparison shots, Mustapha!

Thanks adma and 'booty'.

Hee-eey ... there boys and girls. Have a puff on Mustapha's 'back-in-time' ciggy and be maaaaa-gicallly transported to the northeast corner of Spadina and Dundas circa 1969.

Kid:

'Dad, can we get something to eat in here?'

Dad:

'No, you just ate.'

Kid:

'Dad, can we go see the show in here?'

Dad:

'No, it's not that kind of theatre.'

Kid:

'I know that. They make 'em wear pas**ties on their n**les so the Morality Squad leaves this joint alone.'

Dad:

'Why I oughta wash your mouth out with soap, kid.

Cue action scene: Mid-century style corporal-punishment-in-public for kid. [bam] [bam] [bam bam bam]

<look closely at picture - see man spanking kid>

Some OCA friends and I went into the Victory, during the daytime, shortly before it was renovated in the early '70s - the floors were sticky underfoot.

Yeah, its like that at the Yonge and Eg Silvercity too. People spill their pop.

We assumed it was jism.

They don't have that at the Silver City snack bar.

Default Not a 'Then and Now' theme here: Wandering up Yonge at Summerhill late last night

and came across this. Creative and spooky.

13. Default

This is my first post here, and I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post in as:

a) My interests focus on Toronto street photography
    b) Further to that, I'm extremely interested in the "Now and Then" format, and I think Mustapha has done a wonderful job to this end.

Excellent photos all. I could (and plan to) spend many an hour here when I should probably be working.

All of my own photos are located on my photoblog (http://www.fabricated.ca/photos) which I plan to add to my sig shortly.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Cbab View Post
    This is my first post here, and I thought this would be the most appropriate thread to post in as:

a) My interests focus on Toronto street photography
    b) Further to that, I'm extremely interested in the "Now and Then" format, and I think Mustapha has done a wonderful job to this end.

Excellent photos all. I could (and plan to) spend many an hour here when I should probably be working.

All of my own photos are located on my photoblog (http://www.fabricated.ca/photos) which I plan to add to my sig shortly.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!
    Cbab, Welcome and thank you for the compliment.

Best wishes,

-Moose

Default College Park

Page 1 of 806 1231151101501 ... LastLast