News   Jul 03, 2024
 45     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 695     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.2K     0 

Toronto West Courthouse (Dundas e of Kipling, 8s)

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Star:

400,000 SQ. FT.
Plan grows for new Etobicoke courthouse
City to examine project of 400,000 square feet

Jun 16, 2008 04:30 AM
Paul Moloney
City Hall Bureau

Plans for a new provincial courthouse in the Six Points area of Etobicoke have become more expansive.

The province wants to buy about 1.6 hectares of city-owned land near Bloor St. and Kipling Ave. for a project that has quadrupled in size since it was first revealed to a city hall committee last month.

The city will be asked to okay a courthouse development of 400,000 square feet on two levels, with the ability to expand in the future, members of the government management committee learned last week. It was originally going to be 100,000 square feet.

But city council should be careful to sell only the amount of land the province would truly need to build its courthouse, said Councillor Peter Milczyn (Ward 5, Etobicoke-Lakeshore), who represents the area.

"My only concern at this point is the amount of land they're seeking," Milczyn said. "Council ultimately has to make it very clear to the province that we're happy to sell the land to them, but only the land they actually need."

Milczyn said he wouldn't want to see the province sitting on excess land because that could stall long-held redevelopment plans to replace the Six Points interchange ramps with a new city centre for Etobicoke.

The city owns a total of about 8 hectares in the area.

A new courthouse, along with plans for a new YMCA nearby, are important facilities that could help to attract private developers to the site, he added.

"I want the balance of the development to be commercial, and generate the highest potential value to the city in terms of land value and taxes that would be paid down the road," Milczyn said.

The councillor said the city should also pressure the province to build a courthouse that would be a prominent landmark.

That could include building a public square in front, complete with sculpture or other forms of public art, he said.

The committee is recommending that city staff negotiate the land sale with the Ontario Realty Corp., the provincial agency that handles real estate acquisitions for the provincial government.

A spokesperson for the realty corporation couldn't be reached for comment.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/443983

AoD

Thanks Alvin. It would be terrific if this happens but, franky, I've been hearing about all these gradiose plans for years and all I see is more ashalt and weeds. I'll believe it when I see it. What's happening with the 6 points remake? Who knows. How about the new SNC building? Cancelled. Forgive me for my scepticism.

The city will be asked to okay a courthouse development of 400,000 square feet on two levels, with the ability to expand in the future, members of the government management committee learned last week.

400,000 Square Feet on two levels? Gack! Nothing at all in this area should be anything less than 10 floors high.

I agree with Milczyn: this building has got to be a landmark, and needs to be built on as little land as possible: we've got downtown Etobicoke to build here!

400,000 Square Feet on two levels? Gack! Nothing at all in this area should be anything less than 10 floors high.

I agree with Milczyn: this building has got to be a landmark, and needs to be built on as little land as possible: we've got downtown Etobicoke to build here!

Yeah, but if you look at how Humber Bay Shores turned out, I'm not sure I want Milczyn calling the shots here, otherwise we'll end up with little pointy hats on the roof.

I'm not happy with everything that Peter Milczyn has been doing (and I sent him a nasty letter regarding his proposal to look at selling the rights to name TTC stations), but he has got the priorities right here, and I'm not sure we can blame him for Newport's pointy hats. There was no City architectural review panel at all when those towers went up (as is clearly evidenced by the motley crew down there) so I don't believe he had any ability to control any of that.

I'm thrilled to see this finally happening. Toronto's suburban courthouses are appalling, and I'm really looking forward to the day when they're all replaced with nice, purpose-built buildings in the three suburban city centres.

I am a little disturbed by how much land the province wants, though. 4 acres seems more than a little excessive. I'm with interchange on this. What's wrong with building up? Even a five our six story building on an acre or two would be better. This doesn't sound like a very urban plan.

Cheers for the courthouse...jeers for the site plan.

Maybe someone or someones will be inspired to, as unimaginative says, consolidate the various courthouses in office parks around the city into proper central buildings. Finch & Dufferin? Eglinton & Warden? What a waste!

I'm not happy with everything that Peter Milczyn has been doing (and I sent him a nasty letter regarding his proposal to look at selling the rights to name TTC stations), but he has got the priorities right here, and I'm not sure we can blame him for Newport's pointy hats. There was no City architectural review panel at all when those towers went up (as is clearly evidenced by the motley crew down there) so I don't believe he had any ability to control any of that.

Though you can blame him for the original plan to rip down City Hall's walkways...

...and he calls himself an architect. I wonder if he does more or less damage as a councillor now? (I have no idea if there are any Milczyn designs gracing our city.)

...and he calls himself an architect. I wonder if he does more or less damage as a councillor now? (I have no idea if there are any Milczyn designs gracing our city.)

He does like to boast about being an architect and I do recall hearing him taking credit for how Humber Bay Shores turned out. Regarding his performance, other than HBS, there's surprising little to his record. The transformation of Etobicoke City Centre is his primary project but so far, it's only on paper. He lacks the political allegiances that would speed up the plans. Hence, no budget allocations for the 6 points remake. His office is slow to respond or doesn't respond at all to concerns. The only hope for improvments lies with the private sector and I suspect Milczyn is fine with that.

Then again, he did advocate saving the Valhalla, and he's going against his community council on the Carleton Village School issue...

New courthouse for Etobicoke

Apr 07, 2009 12:23 PM

John Goddard
Staff Reporter

A streamlined, accessible courthouse serving west Toronto is to begin construction within two years, Attorney General Chris Bentley announced yesterday.

Acquisition of the Westwood Theatre Lands – where Kipling Ave., Bloor St. W. and Dundas St. W. intersect – is nearly complete for a facility to house 20 courtrooms, he said. Two of those are to be equipped to handle complex trials with multiple defendants and extra security.

The site is near the Kipling subway and GO stations, and includes other accessibility features, the minister said.

"It will be set up in a way that will be easier for all of us who don't happen to have law degrees to find the courtroom or court office we need in a much easier way," Bentley said in an interview following the announcement.

Next steps include finalizing rezoning permits and opening the project to design and construction bids. Although no cost estimate has been calculated yet, Etobicoke-Lakeshore MPP Laurel Broten and Etobicoke-Lakeshore city councillor Peter Milczyn said the project represents a major economic investment in the area.

Two provincial courthouses at 1000 Finch Ave. W. and 2201 Finch Ave. W. currently serve west Toronto. The new facility would eventually make 1000 Finch Ave. W. redundant, the minister said.

source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/615020

^ What about the courthouse on the East Mall? Is it going to be made redundant as well?

I certainly hope they have come up with a better design idea than the plan last year involving 400,000 square feet on two levels. What a monstrosity that would have been.

Back