Toronto 34 Southport | 99m | 29s | State Building Group | Richmond Architects

M

Mike in TO

18-storey glass and concrete tower by Geogian Homes in Swansea Village.
King's Way building.gif

www.kings-way.ca

This is on the SW corner of Windermere and the Queensway, right?

I like densification, but townhouses and tower that are currenlty built on the Queensway are probably the worst mish-mash I've ever seen. Tall glass tower emerging from three storey townhomes in the most awkward way imaginable. It is particularly pronounced when you see it from the corner. Even my wife, who is not interested in architecture at all, mentioned it as we walked by the development.

When the wife starts commenting you know it's serious.

BTW, that rendering is horrendous. NIMBYs should be up in arms against this sort of crap.

From the site, a new low:

“It's not so much
a building, but rather a
composition
of elegant and inspired
elements for your lifestyle."

Did they lift the copy from the original Absolute marketing materials?

"This is on the SW corner of Windermere and the Queensway, right?"

I'm almost certain this is The Pointe's replacement on Southport

Well that's craptastic.

It's not at the SW corner of Windermere and the Queensway. Luckily this trashy slab will be partly hidden a couple of blocks back of the Queensway on Southport Street behind some midrise condos.

Well, would you look at that, I'm a Senior. I don't feel like a Senior.

Calling that Swansea is a bit of a stretch then, isn't it?

Nope - the name Swansea is valid for the whole are from Bloor to the Lake, the Humber to High Park.

My bad, I thought people were saying this is on the other side of the Humber, at "Mystic Pointe".

If it is where the strip mall is now, it will still be an improvement. There this huge commie block a just across from it anyway, so it is a step up for the area.

I like densification, but townhouses and tower that are currenlty built on the Queensway are probably the worst mish-mash I've ever seen. Tall glass tower emerging from three storey townhomes in the most awkward way imaginable. It is particularly pronounced when you see it from the corner. Even my wife, who is not interested in architecture at all, mentioned it as we walked by the development.

The townhomes are absoultely brutal. Even on their own it would still be a ridiculous development.

I have to say though, the tower is quite nice...far nicer than I expected it to be. One of those rare times a project ends up looking better than the renderings, and by quite a bit. It's quite a nice landmark when you're going south on Windermere.

As for the Kings Way...another disappointment.

^It's either the townhouses or the tower, but should not have been both. Maybe as the Queensway is fixed up some trees will be planted to hide some of this.

Wasn't all of this "design" and "planning" the result of some public consultation effort?

Back