Vaughan Expo City: Expo 1,2, & Nord | ?m | 38s | Cortel Group | AJT Architects

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
the 1.8 million-square-foot, six-tower, mixed-use 7 City Centre for the new Town of Vaughan corporate city centre

I haven't heard this mentioned before. That's a pretty good start for the new subway line!

I found renderings. Go to http://www.kirkorarchitects.com/, click on Upcoming Projects, and then click on 7 City Centre. It's one of those condos-in-a-forest renderings, so it's pretty hard to tell exactly where they're located.

If this hasn't been mentioned before, this probably deserves its own thread.

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/vaughan/council/minutes_agendas/committee_2008/pdf/CWA0505_55.pdf

I've been doing some work on this. The previous plan called for 6 towers up to 35 floors. The buildings being primarily condos with some at grade retail and some small office component.

The current plan as part of the zoning and OP amendments (which is going to the OMB, as per the latest report) will be 5 towers, all 34/35 floors, comprising of almost 1800 units.

It is located just east of Jane on the north side of highway 7. It is subject to the Vaughan Corporate Centre Secondary Plan. Distance from the proposed terminus of the Spadina extension would be a 5-10 minute walk at most.

7citycentre.jpg

This is the previous design. I haven't seen the revised renderings, but it would be similar except the smallest building (behind the tallest on the left) is no more and the other two shorter buildings are the same height as the 3 tall ones.

EDIT: In response to 7 City Centre, some more info for unimaginative

Thanks so much for the information! That's more than I could have hoped for.

Well, this project shows that at least there are going to be a lot of people up there to ride the subway. I just wish they'd work on the urban planning principles a bit more. This sure isn't in keeping with the sidewalk-cafe, strolling-on-the-boulevard image of "Avenue 7" that they were trying to project.

Wow, looks to me like RoCP and NY Towers have gotten together and had kids!

Considering the site, this is actually the best possible type of development one could expect. You're never going to have pedestrians on a 7 lane street where half the vehicles are 18 wheelers, therefore the best thing possible at VCC will be as many high rise buildings as can be fit on the site.

quite definitely derivative of Kirkor's earlier NY Towers... while an impressive cluster of towers in scale, I dont like the decision of 5 exactly the same design and height. (guess that saves costs on the architects though)

Anyways, I never go to Vaughan these days, actually purposely avoid it since they built that giant friggin mall with the Bass Pro Shop and NASCAR Speed Park... where are we, Atlanta?

Given how inhospitable it would be to walk around up there with all the traffic, I wonder if they're considering tunnels or skybridges to link up the buildings with future development.

Kirkor blows! They have about as much imagination when it comes to architecture as my dogs left testicle. I still do not think that architects such as this, should be allowed to obtain the name of architect, regardless of their education.

p5

Oh my god those are hideous looking buildings. Like has been said they look like the NY Towers which are the the most terrible buildings in the city of Toronto. I'm just glad these are going outside the city limits...

They suck, but that's about as good as one can expect from a place like Vaughan.

Looks like five look-alike buildings. Very vertical-suburban, and what one would expect in Vaughan.

Based on the architecture currently present in Vaughan, this might actually be an improvement.

But this is exactly the problem, because so much of what is produced nowadays is sub-par architecture, more sub-par architecture with a few whimsical additives, becomes a step-up.

There is only a subtle difference between this project, the NY Towers project and the project which was recently completed in Mississauga. Proving, that they are infact not architects, but rather cookie-cutter developers. These guys have the distinction of designing/cookie-cutting the most condos in Canada- what more needs to be said about them? Schlock-tecture is more like it.

p5

Back