Toronto West Village Etobicoke | ?m | 31s | Tridel | Rafael + Bigauskas

Yup.

I posted this (sans details), in the Holiday Towers Thread. Seems like a lot of activity going around the 427 area ...

"4 Eva" will certainly go over well with the text-messaging crowd...

bratz.jpg

...maybe they should try a little Bratz theme

Interesting. This area is starting to explode - 4 towers on this site, 4 on Holiday Drive, 5 or 6 on the Civic Centre site, and 3 across the highway on Valhalla! Now if only there would be progress with the Honeydale Mall and Canadian Tire (Dundas) sites!

I hope some of the older slabs lining 427 on either side explode: they include some of the ugliest large buildings in the GTA. Many have aluminum siding many floors up in the air covering areas where bricks deteriorated. It ain't pretty!

Interesting. This area is starting to explode - 4 towers on this site, 4 on Holiday Drive, 5 or 6 on the Civic Centre site, and 3 across the highway on Valhalla! Now if only there would be progress with the Honeydale Mall and Canadian Tire (Dundas) sites!

As long the CT is making a good return on the Dundas store, there is no plans to convert it to condo's.

CT is not in the condo development business.

The plan was to sell the land if the store lost a huge chuck of business when the new Queensway store open some years ago, but didn't loose much as expected. It has recover that lost today.

Honeydale is crying out for redevelopment and it sad the the subway was not extended to this area as well building a new inter regional terminal. This would allow TTC to move most of their buses to this new terminal from Kipling to cut down on wasted travel time as well getting caught up traffic.

I hope some of the older slabs lining 427 on either side explode: they include some of the ugliest large buildings in the GTA. Many have aluminum siding many floors up in the air covering areas where bricks deteriorated. It ain't pretty!

I believe it was done for insulation, not deterioration of brick, but it could serve that purpose as well.

These high-rises weren't insulated well when they were built. Since brick heats up fast, heat is transfered through them very quickly heating up the interior of the building. Also, heat rises, so the upper floors in these buildings tend to be very hot, that's why you see the corrugated metal with insulation beneath.

As long the CT is making a good return on the Dundas store, there is no plans to convert it to condo's.

CT is not in the condo development business.

The plan was to sell the land if the store lost a huge chuck of business when the new Queensway store open some years ago, but didn't loose much as expected. It has recover that lost today.

Are you sure about that? They obviously haven't invested a dime into that store for at least a decade now - it's grimy, ugly, and a mess inside, and it always seems to be semi-deserted whenever I pass by. Plus there are those white application signs on the edges of the property. It seems to me they are treating it like they expect it to go under sooner rather than later, which I definitely hope happens, as long as we don't get a repeat of that disgusting townhouse disaster built on the site of a former CT at Queensway and Islington.

That Can Tire does very good business, especially on weekends. Ever since the Home Hardware on Dundas & Burnhamthorpe closed about 3 years ago, it's the closest hardware store to the village without having to go to a mega Home Depot. Regardless, the owner (it's franchised not corporate owned) of the property will sell out when it can maximize its return. The decision has little to do with how many hammers it sells. The site is slated for multiple condo towers. No chance we'll see townhouses here. If the current r/e cycle continues (which I doubt), then I'd expect this to go soon. Probably the owner of this property as well as several other sites on Dundas already rezoned for high density residential are waiting for the next cycle when they won't have to compete with Tridel's project.

Back