News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 668     0 

West Don Lands

Riverdale Rink Rat

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://waterfrontoronto.ca/dynamic.php?first=43fa75b221b08&second=4648891d21b01&third=442c3d68acd91

Now that earth is being moved, I thought West Don Lands deserved its own thread (correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see one anywhere.)

Taken as a whole, the Near East is exploding -- Riverdale/Leslieville/Riverside/Corktown/West Don Lands/Distillery District will see an enormous influx of new construction over the next few years.

Selfishly, I'm happiest about the fact the Don berm had to be built. Already the bottom of the Don Trail is much better for jogging/biking, once the park is in place and the underpass opened, the Riverdale Park to Distillery District ride will be great -- pretend to exercise, followed by a well-deserved pint!

I'm noticing that after 4:30pm this neighbourhood is dead. The streetwall is completely unimpressive. As I walk through the neighbourhood it gives me a beyond suburban feeling... like my shoes are walking through mud.

Walk through?/No9 art installation

I'm noticing that after 4:30pm this neighbourhood is dead. The streetwall is completely unimpressive. As I walk through the neighbourhood it gives me a beyond suburban feeling... like my shoes are walking through mud.

Walk beside, maybe? You would definitely be walking in mud if you were actually on the site -- they laid the sewage pipe on top of the hardpan, and have now covered the North half with dirt (that portion north of the flyover.)

South half has serious earthmoving still going on, laying sewage pipe for the first portion to be released to the developers, as well as constructing the berm/park.

On a completely different note, an art collective with an impressive fundraising team (whether the 'art' is any good is another matter!) has parked a toy boat in the Don, complete with life preserver.

http://www.no9.ca/

The guide is interesting -- I'm not really buying their hype, but the archive pix of people swimming (!!) in the Don are neat, and anyone trying to make an eco-difference to that blighted moonscape gets some kudos. A good excuse for a Don bike ride, if nothing else.

Being mostly devoid of existing structures, this huge vacant site presents an entirely different set of conditions from the nearbye Gooderham & Worts site - nothing to match, expand on, or play off of.

Just west of St. Lawrence Street, looking east, 1928.
s0372_ss0001_it0819.jpg

Same position as above, looking south-east, 1928. The Eastern/Richmond overpass is in place of those houses now.
s0372_ss0001_it0843.jpg

This is what they were building: west side of St. Lawrence Street, 1929.
s0372_ss0001_it0914.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it0912.jpg

This area is a good opportunity build an ultra modern neighbourhood with cutting edge architecture.

I'm curious to see if they can really build a new urban neighbourhood from scratch... or will this be another car-oriented lost opportunity?

A true urban neighbourhood

Between a streetcar spur, Distillery, the berm, an underpass to the bike paths, and a plethora of St. Lawrence-style midsize buildings, this wil be a very urban neighbourhood. I don't think you need to ban cars completely in order to get that.

A lot of earthmoving, but not much else for the last couple of months. I'll be interested to see detailed drawings for the first phase -- anyone know when they'll be released?

I'm curious to see if they can really build a new urban neighbourhood from scratch... or will this be another car-oriented lost opportunity?

It will be a success if they follow the guidelines that created the St Lawrence neighbourhood.

The building to right of the last picture above is still there - Its the loft building that the "Corktown District" building at 569 King east will abut, the building in the foreground are the habitat for humanity towns that were thrown up a few years back.

This is the neighbourhood im planning to move into.. been waiting for more than three years since the precinct came out. saving my money and waiting till the right development comes around.. I'm going to the Gooderham preview opening today.

Back