News   Mar 28, 2024
 431     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 304     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

Pearson: Local bus services (GO, TTC, MT, BT)

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/420390

Bus services tout greener way to Pearson

GO adds regular routes from Mississauga, Richmond Hill
Private Airport Express upgrades coaches to offer Wi-Fi, leather seats — and fewer emissions
May 01, 2008 11:18 AM
Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter

It's not the high-speed rail link that politicians and some travellers are seeking.

But two airport coaches are now offering enhanced service to Pearson International Airport.

GO Transit started two new airport routes last weekend, April 26-27 one from the Mississauga City Centre and one from Richmond Hill Centre, that run every 30 minutes and every hour, respectively.

The Airport Express coach that ferries travellers back and forth from downtown hotels every 20 to 30 minutes also is rebranding itself as a more luxurious and environmentally friendly lift to the airport, effective today, May 1.

GO has long had airport service from Yorkdale, but the new service is "a different market altogether," said spokesperson Stephanie Sorensen. "It's 905 to 905 service."

The trip from the GO bus terminal at Square One - some 86 trips a day in both directions - costs $3.75. From Richmond Hill Centre (44 trips daily), it's $4.85. Luggage facilities are available, and tickets may be purchased in advance.

The new GO services carried about 100 customers in the first week, and are expected to attract airport employees as well. At present, about 80 per cent of the airport's 100,000 workers drive there, according to GO.

The service is likely to expand further east and west along Highway 407, according to GO officials.

Starting today, the downtown Airport Express will have a new look inside and out.

The grey buses have been replaced with a fleet of 10 bright yellow ones.

Inside, they'll have leather seating, Wi-Fi, onboard entertainment and laptop plug-ins for 54 passengers. The Quebec-built buses will also emit 55 per cent less nitrogen oxide and 90 per cent less particulate matter than the old ones, said Mark Hannah, vice-president of Pacific Western, which has run the shuttle since 1993.

At $29.95 for a round-trip, the Express is cheaper than a cab and takes 20 to 80 minutes, depending on the time of day and hotel destination, he said. The buses leave every 20 minutes. Online booking is available. The Airport Express carries about 500,000 people annually.

Meantime, the TTC continues to run what it calls the Airport Rocket from the Kipling subway station, an express bus that carries about 3,000 people on a typical weekday.

76a370534cffb6bce5064b147519.jpeg

Aiport Express has added new amenities to its downtown-to-Pearson airport coach service, including leather seats, Wi-Fi Internet access and on-board entertainment.

100 trips in the WEEK? There's 86 trips from Square One DAILY! This must be the emptiest bus in GO transit history. I know it's only one week, but still.

100 trips in the WEEK? There's 86 trips from Square One DAILY! This must be the emptiest bus in GO transit history. I know it's only one week, but still.

It's "only" 43 trips a day, but that still makes for pretty empty buses. I still think that a MCC<>YYZ route should be the responsibility of Mississauga Transit.

It's "only" 43 trips a day, but that still makes for pretty empty buses. I still think that a MCC<>YYZ route should be the responsibility of Mississauga Transit.

It is part of a longer route to Richmond Hill though. You can't expect MT to provide service to Richmond Hill.

But it would have made more sense for this to be a joint venture by MT and YRT similar to BT/YRT 77 since the low-floor buses are more suited to provide the service than high-floor coach buses...

86 trips per day is not a lot... for example, the 201 Dundas Express has around the same, despite being a rush hour only service.

...since the low-floor buses are more suited to provide the service than high-floor coach buses...

Luggage.

An airport route has to handle it, and a coach can do that very easily.

Yes it should.

After 5 years of hitting the city with a baseball bat, they still don't understand that 30-60 minute headway with 35 stops doesn't cut it.

I call for an express bus that not only service the YYZ from MCC, but also from Meadowvale and Malton

Qh! well!!! maybe Metrolinx will fix this.

GO only needs 25 riders an hour to recover the operating cost of the route in the first place.

This is an excellent new service for Mississauga and will be one of the routes featured along the Mississauga Transitway.

There was limited promotion of the new route before its launch last week. I'm confident that GO and MT have done their homework on potential demand, and ridership will build in the coming weeks as the word spreads.

Louroz

This is an excellent new service for Mississauga and will be one of the routes featured along the Mississauga Transitway.

There was limited promotion of the new route before its launch last week. I'm confident that GO and MT have done their homework on potential demand, and ridership will build in the coming weeks as the word spreads.

Louroz

There is no reason it will not work if it wasn't for the fare structure of GO. For GO to work now, GO needs a bigger parking lot at MCC and I don't support this.

The same applies to RHC.

Mississauga Transitway is a GO thing and is in direct complementation with MT because MT/City cannot see outside their rosy glasses as well blinders. This statement can be found in the 2003-5 EA report on the BRT. Also in the 2002 report on MT.

Back