Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Sheridan College Breaks Ground for McCallion Campus Expansion
ALSO

Thread: Toronto Archives: Subway Edition

Hybrid View

1. Default Toronto Archives: Subway Edition

I thought I'd start a thread here for any interesting or mind boggling photos of the subway from the Toronto Archives online...

I found these two... they seem to be two alternatives for the subway to cross a valley and an expressway... but it's NOT the DVP... I'm trying to figure out where it is.... it's obviously underneath one of the defunct freeways though... ideas?

http://299bloorcallcontrol.com
    (random ramblings on the urban landscape)

Quote Originally Posted by 299 bloor call control. View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread here for any interesting or mind boggling photos of the subway from the Toronto Archives online...

I found these two... they seem to be two alternatives for the subway to cross a valley and an expressway... but it's NOT the DVP... I'm trying to figure out where it is.... it's obviously underneath one of the defunct freeways though... ideas?
    That highway bridge reminds me of Hoggs Hollow.. However, I have no clue as to the subway in that shot.. Maybe a different alignment of the northbound extension of Yonge in the 70s?

Bingo.

They were figuring out ways to cross the West Don. The highway is the 401.

4. Default

Yeah, i realized that after I saw some other photos further down the stream (ha!) of the York Mills diversion of the Don.

5. Default

Well now that my mystery is solved, here's a couple interesting pics:

1) Thank god for the PATH... I'd hate to be lining up like that just to get into the station.. Though the "Canada's Future" sign above the line is eerily fortelling...

2) We don't see colour photos from this era much.. here's one of a Gloucester train at Bloor Station (pre-BD) and one of unfinished tiles at St Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by 299 bloor call control. View Post
    Well now that my mystery is solved, here's a couple interesting pics:

1) Thank god for the PATH... I'd hate to be lining up like that just to get into the station.. Though the "Canada's Future" sign above the line is eerily fortelling...
    I was trying to figure that one out--ah, it's Dickinson's Prudential Building at King + Yonge...

7. Default

Wow do I ever wish the second one was built through Hoggs Hollow. Would have provided great views especially in the summer and fall.

8. Default

Thanks for these. Photo of the day will be easy to do for the next little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    Wow do I ever wish the second one was built through Hoggs Hollow. Would have provided great views especially in the summer and fall.
    wouldn't snow be an issue though?
    member since april 23 1847. over 250 539 posts in morse on ticker tape, 368 067 by mail and 40 033 over the internet. 75 posts sent by pigeon & 25 by dog but only 12 arrived.