Toronto Edge on Triangle Park | ?m | 21s | Plaza | TACT Architecture

Although a clean looking building with a curve to it, this design is totally inappropriate for an urban neighbourhood; something about it says "south etobicoke suburban wasteland." Too plain, too boring, too much puny podium with no character. Perfect for the 'burbs but not for this location.

I actually think the design is pretty sharp. That said, I hope we don't get a torrent of buildings with 'crazy columns' at the base.

I am really on the fence with this building. On one hand it's a very striking design but on the other hand it doesn't fit with the context of the other buildings in the neighbourhood. It's kind of "look at me!" architecture in an area with enough muscular vintage industrial architecture to blend in with.

Rendering

cool lookin' ~ :cool:

2Lisgar_rendering.jpg

Site Plan Application Submitted

seems like there's going to be a grocery store on the bottom ... great for the neighbourhood :D

2 LISGAR ST

Application # 08 213132 STE 18

Description: Proposed fifteen-storey mixed used building consisting of two-storey retail podium and thirteen-storey residential tower

Proposed Non-Residential GFA: 6,470.00 sq.m.

Proposed Total GFA: 28,448.00 sq.m.

Proposed Units: 300

City Contact: Sarah Phipps (416) 392-7622

Cool lookin'...but, Lisgar?!? Looks more like it belongs around Lakeshore + Park Lawn or something...

City Planning Request for Directions Report

Planning staff report recommends approval of Baywood's 15s proposal for the upcoming OMB hearing, report would be considered by Toronto + East York Community Council on January 13 2009

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-17815.pdf

Pretty cool wavey bldg ... Sudbury at the bottom, Lisgar on the right, Abell on the left ~

2Lisgar_3rdFlr.jpg

2Lisgar_south.jpg

2Lisgar_west.jpg

based on these drawings, the rendering shown previously would have been the North East View of the building

West Queen West hearing adjourned

It appears Baywood is really not doing so well financially ... first selling sites, then requesting to adjourn OMB hearings for their sites in WQW due to 'current economic climate' ??

from Novae Res Urbis today:

In a decision issued March 27, board member Peter Atcheson adjourned appeals by Baywood Homes (2147789 Ontario Ltd.) against failure of the city to approve zoning by-law amendments to permit development of a 15-storey mixeduse building at 2-6 Lisgar Street and a nine-storey mixed use building at 1093 Queen Street West, southwest of Dovercourt Road and Queen Street West.

Baywood Homes requested the board adjourn the hearing sine die, citing the current economic climate as the reason for the request. The board was informed that city council voted to support the zoning by-law amendments for the Lisgar Street and Queen Street West sites. The city supported
the adjournment and both sides agreed that more time was required to finalize the details of the amendments and site plan.

The board complied with the request, adjourning the hearing sine die.

Solicitor Ron Kanter (Macdonald Sager) represented Baywood Homes. Solicitor Thomas Wall represented the City of Toronto. (See OMB Case Nos. PL080992, PL080993 and PL081527.)

To stay true to Toronto tradition, they should at least demolish 48 Abell and pave the lot before going bankrupt.

To let everyone know, the land north of this project was clear and had grass laid last fall.

When they started to tear the structure down last summer, thought they were moving ahead on the plan building, but not to be.

Waiting for the building across the street from this to be torn down with the fencing in place for sometime.

With a grocery store going into this building if it happens, Who is it going to be?? I could see the Price Chopper relocating to this area and freeing up land for a new development.

Back