News   Apr 24, 2024
 865     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 551     0 

North York City Centre

oreoshack

Member Bio
Reaction score
These are a few shots I took a year ago.

Yonge St. Looking North from Hollywood Ave.
YongeStNorth.jpg

Looking up the Median of the Ultima Building
UltimaTowerVertical.jpg

The Ultima Building Atrium
UltimaAtrium.jpg

Beside the Tim Hortons
TimHortonsRailing.jpg

North York City Centre from Hollywood Ave.
NorthYork.jpg

The Las Vegas comparison is apt, especially in the winter. It does look a little "strip-ish".

Got it on a flight to Ottawa on a relatively clear day, a few months ago. Clicking out of my window like mad, thinking they might come in useful some day. NY Centre is very odd looking, to my eye, from the air.

^^

The Hullmark Centre. The proposed Emerald Park is across the street, correct?

Newtonbrook Plaza at Yonge/Cummer will eventually see it's fate as well. David Shiner had a meeting some time ago which showcased potential plans for the site. I didn't attend unfortunately.

Hullmark Centre and Emerald Park will really beef up the density and look of the neighbourhood. I always wonder, when Baghai and his ilk see a render like Emerald park, do they run in shame?

I don't mind that idea, but there's no consistency. Some people refer to Yonge & Bloor as "uptown" while some refer to Yonge & Eglinton as "uptown." Midtown can pretty much anywhere between Dundas & Lawrence if you listen to local media.

My preference...

Lake to Bloor = Downtown
Bloor to York Mills = Midtown
York Mills to Steeles = Uptown

I don't get why Hydro hasn't looked at undergrounding some of its hydro corridors, especially near North York Centre where the value of the developable land should easily pay for the cables.

I'm sure they will look at the idea once the Yonge line's extended, leaving the GO/YRT terminal vacant. Surely they won't pave it over with a few more parking spots and call it a day.

Archivist's photo makes me wish that the houses in the Doris-Kenneth blocks were replaced with something a little beefier, at least townhouses. And the houses on Park Home should be replaced with apartments overlooking the cemetery.

When I lived on Bloor Street, anything north of St. Clair was the boondocks. Now that I live at Yonge and Sheppard, I actually don't mind the community up here. Lots of restaurants and shops. There's definitely a community feel to the place.

Back