News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     0 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Post em here.

I got a few to start:

My local favourite, Alderwood Plaza (427/Browns Line & Evans)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...0007,-79.547705&spn=0.00209,0.006094&t=k&z=18

Stonegate Plaza: (Berry Road Area)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...172,-79.488536&spn=0.002089,0.006094&t=k&z=18

Mall at Dixon and Islington:

The lead tenant (Loblaws), vacated this space over two years ago. Look at all that land for development.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...358,-79.544658&spn=0.002087,0.006094&t=k&z=18

Honeydale Mall:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...723,-79.546761&spn=0.002089,0.006094&t=k&z=18

BTW, The Woodbine Centre is losing tenants by the dozen. I was just in there the other day and noticed more and more vacant spaces...

BTW, The Woodbine Centre is losing tenants by the dozen. I was just in there the other day and noticed more and more vacant spaces...

Yup. I was there about 2 weeks ago and counted 28 emtpy storefronts, and there was hardly anyone about at 6 pm.

Hurry up Woodbine and die.

I want to do this so bad! Especially through Fantasy Fair.

dixie1.jpg

Galleria Mall at Dufferin & Dupont. Nothing a good implosion couldn't help.

Is that nicotine stains I see?

There is an active proposal to redevelop Honeydale. It's dead in everything but name. I don't think they have one "real" tenant any longer, other than the supermarket, and I have the feeling that they are not doing really well, what with being almost literally on the doorsteps of two other supermarkets.

I certainly have to agree with Jarrek about Alderwood. Not sure why it continues to survive at all. The supermarket has been vacant for years now. But, as far as I know, there are no plans to redevelop.

There was a proposal to redevelop this mall not long ago. Not sure what happened to it.

Apparently there are multiple owners of the Galleria and one or more got cold feet.

Redeveloping the site was the 3rd semester studio project for Ryerson Planning class of 2010, and I like to think my proposal was better than the approved plan.

There is an active proposal to redevelop Honeydale. It's dead in everything but name. I don't think they have one "real" tenant any longer, other than the supermarket, and I have the feeling that they are not doing really well, what with being almost literally on the doorsteps of two other supermarkets.

I certainly have to agree with Jarrek about Alderwood. Not sure why it continues to survive at all. The supermarket has been vacant for years now. But, as far as I know, there are no plans to redevelop.

Actually, believe it or not, an Ontario Farms opened up at Alderwood Plaza last year in January to great fanfare, only to close 6 months later. There's some renovation work being done at the front of that vacant space, so I'm not sure what's going on anymore. The Pro Hardware owner is retiring, so the mall will be left with two major vacant storefronts. Yet, incredibly, it continues to survive. Everything around it is shoddy. Whoever owns this dump puts absolutely very little in maintaining it.

Apparently there are multiple owners of the Galleria and one or more got cold feet.

Redeveloping the site was the 3rd semester studio project for Ryerson Planning class of 2010, and I like to think my proposal was better than the approved plan.

Actually, MY proposal was better than both yours and the approved plan. kthxs.

Post your proposals.

:D

Its going to take a while for me to dig up the concept plan, but here is the rationale for mine:

Concept Rationale/Guiding Principles
Imagability of the neighbourhood is improved by laying down a distorted-grid street pattern over the site and introducing street-side retail along Dupont as well along Park Ave, Galleria St and River St, each of which lead to the park.

The large podium buildings along the north side of Dupont will be punctuated on the ends by residential point towers. Architectural details with help break up the visual impact of the podia while maintaining the number of units and providing a sound barrier to the rail line to the north. The tallest tower is located on the North-West corner of Dufferin and Dupont providing a landmark at this major intersection and an indication of where the new neighbourhood begins.

A variety of Housing Types and Land Uses has been introduced to the area allowing for a broad spectrum of the population. Stacked townhouses in the central block and to the west of the park contribute to an increased density while providing the residents with street level access to the park. Apartment units in each of the larger buildings on the site come in many sizes from bachelors to three-bedrooms accommodating retirees, singles, couples and families. An incentive program encourages homeowners on Emerson Ave and Lappin Ave to rebuild their garages into laneway homes.

At-grade retail space provides business oppourtunities for local merchants and restaurant owners who may then capitalize on the rich mix of demographics. This also encourages more pedestrian activity along the roads and puts more eyes on the street. New office space on the north side of Dupont provides employment for the area and daytime business for local stores and restaurants.

The higher density of residences and employment in the area encourages greater bus service along Dufferin and Dupont. Placing this development east of other recent developments on Dupont encourages more east-west movement along that street. Traffic calming measures such as the landscaped median along Dupont will discourage car use and promote use of transit.
Pedestrian Access to the site has been improved by splitting the former Galleria Mall site into five smaller blocks with wide pedestrian pathways connecting Emerson and Dufferin to the interior of the site. All parking is located either underground or on the street to improve navigation for pedestrians and cyclists while also improving the overall visual appeal of the area.
Galleria St has been located in alignment with Lightbourn Ave, north of the railroad tracks, to facilitate a potential future connection.
The addition of stacked townhouses and apartment units that face onto the park puts more eyes on the area and increases safety. The public square at Dufferin and Dupont is configured for year-round use with a fountain/skating rink and space for a farmers market or other community events. Co-op greenhouses and community gardens are located to the west of the park and green roof parks on top of the buildings north of Dupont provide unique open spaces for residents of the towers. Two of the development sites include open courtyards for use by residents of the attached buildings as well as the general public. Park furniture such as benches and chess tables will encourage greater use of the park.

Actually, MY proposal was better than both yours and the approved plan. kthxs.

My group had both Andre's in it - it was double the greatness. And I don't skip class...

Guiding Principles

Diversify economic activity through a variety of small business opportunities to serve local residents.

Offer a broad range of commercial and residential uses in mixed use buildings. Create opportunity for residents to live, work and shop in the same area while promoting a diversity of uses to create vibrant, attractive and safe spaces at all hours of the day and night. Attract retail uses that generate a centre of activity by providing everyday essentials for residents. Locate main building entrances so that they are clearly visible and directly accessible from the public sidewalk.

Integrate socio-economic classes with a mixture of market-value and affordable housing units.

Provide a range of housing, in terms of form, tenure and affordability. Ensure a balance among high rise ownership housing and other forms of housing, including purpose-built rental housing, affordable rental housing and affordable low-rise ownership housing for large households with children.

Develop a circulation pattern that promotes active transportation modes.
Ensure convenient access to public transit within a reasonable distance from residential areas. Recognize the social, environmental, and economic benefits of pedestrian-friendly urban environments. Ensure safe, comfortable and direct pathways for people of all ages and abilities.
Ensure that the existing character of adjacent neighbourhoods remain intact by maintaining human scale development.

Ensure appropriate transitions in scale of buildings with respect to existing built form. Consider appropriate densities of new developments, permitting retail and commercial businesses, as well as public transit to support the added population. New developments fronting onto street and park edges will be massed to fit harmoniously into existing or planned context.

Consideration of location and design of new buildings to maintain sunlight and comfortable wind conditions on adjacent streets, parks and open spaces.
Preserve green space as a valuable amenity, providing the community with a safe and comfortable outdoor space that offers a range of activities for all seasons.

Provide a comfortable and attractive setting for community events as well as suitable space and layout for year-round passive and active recreational activity. Provide convenient, universal access to open spaces and create linkages, where possible, between public parks to encourage a continuous network of green space. Improve public visibility and diversity the usability of parks to increase intensity and safety of green spaces.

If you're sensing a theme here, you're not alone. Everyone proposes similar designs for these assignments because transit-oriented development = good marks. I suppose you could argue that sprawl is good, and they would have to mark you fairly, but no one has been that brave... yet.

Back