News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 281     0 

Mon Sheong Court (Scarborough)

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
A Tridel Element clone in North Scarborough at Kennedy Road and McNicoll Avenue. Now under construction.

http://www.monsheong.org/msc.html

http://www.burka.net/burka_monsheong.html

monsheong01.jpg

April 8 2008...

2399090653_797a793f92_b.jpg

2399091325_1ccbffb48a_b.jpg

2399923300_7cf3c1da81_b.jpg

2399924082_6da56cfbab_b.jpg

wow - condos with a view of the Scarborough wilderness!

thanks for the update - the suburbs dont get as much coverage as downtown. actually this forum is really starting to cover almost everything now.

The south east corner of that intersection will eventually see more condo developments. I think I saw the land there already sold or a notice of application, can't remember which. The area right now is pretty dingy.

Thanks for getting these shots wylie. This is the closest to my house from any of the other Scarborough projects but I didn't have the time to get there.

I'm not a fan of how they changed the corner balconies from the render. The concrete strip down the middle is unappealing and the circular disc at the top corner is no longer setback. Overall though it's not much to look at anyways, but it's good to see some infill coming here along with the other building just to the east of this one and they are not set back too far from McNicoll

It's the type of infill development that we should expect to see more and more of.

If Toronto is going to fit another million people in its boundaries over the next few decades, we're gonna need to have a lot of similar buildings on avenues and major roads.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Scarborough, but can someone comment on the appropriateness of using a Chinese name and what looks like marketing material for a condo in the area?

It's urban heresy, but the two of the four corners at the intersection of Kennedy & McNicoll now have some of the best Avenues-type development in the city. Yes, the buildings themselves aren't too great, but the massing and the spirit and the good intentions are, compared in context, light years ahead of most of the rest of the city.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Scarborough, but can someone comment on the appropriateness of using a Chinese name and what looks like marketing material for a condo in the area?

It is totally appropriate because this building is located in one of the most populated Chinese communities in the GTA. Pacific Mall, Market Village and Splendid China Tower are located about 1 km away at Steeles Ave, and those are just the tip of the ice berg in terms of the number of East Asian plazas within a 5-10 minute drive of this site.

Mon Sheong Court is named after the Mon Sheong Foundation, which is the developer of this building (which will contain seniors' apartments), and the operator of a nursing home next door.

Seems appropriate to me. I grew up in Scarborough kind of around there and most of the people I went to school with were Chinese.

Well, I don't think a development needs to be close to concentrations of ethnic Chinese for it to be "appropriate" to give it a Chinese name, if that's what the developer wants, esp. if it's the company's name, as it is in this case.

Besides the fact that it is named after the foundation financing it, would it have been more appropriate had it been given a name with a New York reference, or an Italian reference?

There is a sizable Chinese community in this city; it should not be surprising when a building should happen to have a Chinese name.

Back