News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 257     0 

York Mills

karnipa

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am a teen living in the outskirts of Toronto downtown. I live in North York, and lately, when walking my dog I have noticed the field.
I first discovered the field when I was 9, along time ago, when walking by you see large, lovely houses after one another and then you see 'The Field', a barren beautiful place which you can tell tradgedy has hit.
When walking through this ENORMOUS field their are still ruins of the home, a pathway, a garden path, an abandoned fountain. All looking crumbled and around 100 years old. Also, there are thick luscious trees. A wonderful site.
Someone owns this field, I know, but dosen't intend building on it.
But if ANYONE, anyone at all can tell me anything about it, what had struck this serene place or any tinbit of neighbourly gossip, I will be much satisfied.
I intend on buying this field in a number of years but my curiousity has always raged, what is this wonderful place? And what happened here?
I know no one has lived that long but-if there is any background information, I'd love to hear some.

Anyone?

Does no one know of his marvelous area?

Surely, it is one of the most wonderful nature sites in the area, I was sure gads of people would be replying...oh well...

Within eight minutes of your initial post, you can't expect a cogent answer. Especially when most of us don't come into this knowing what you're referring to (though *my* imagination is piqued, at least)

For the record, Edgewood is a long cul-de-sac S off York Mills just E of Old Yonge (I guess that's what you're referring to)

Actually, I'm just a tad anxious.
And no, I was referring to HEDGEWOOD, its down Beechwood and in the section where I live. I live on Beechwood which intersects with Hedgewood.

If you do not know please do not reply, I cannot waste time on people who think they know what I'm talking about.

Karnipa, as already mentioned you cannot expect an "instant" answer, although I too am now a bit curious. If you seriously want an answer, wait until at least a few people have seen your enquiry.

Do you have a street number for this property? If not, do you have the street numbers of the properties to the north and to the south? If so, I might, repeat might, be able to come up with some info.

Actually, I'm just a tad anxious.
And no, I was referring to HEDGEWOOD, its down Beechwood and in the section where I live. I live on Beechwood which intersects with Hedgewood.

If you do not know please do not reply, I cannot waste time on people who think they know what I'm talking about.

Sorry, mea culpa--I misspelled and brain-farted "Edgewood" in place of "Hedgewood"; but I did mean Hedgewood...

Assuming that this property is actually 10 Hedgewood Road: It was listed for sale most recently through the Toronto MLS in early 1996. At the time, the property included an old 3-storey stone house, with 8 bedrooms (!) and 5 bathrooms. It sounds like this house was subsequently demolished.

The land registry shows that the present owner purchased the property in July 1997. Apparently, for whatever reasons, he is content to sit on it without developing it.

The property includes a large part of the hillside area to the west. It is just over 3 acres in size.

Assuming that this property is actually 10 Hedgewood Road: It was listed for sale most recently through the Toronto MLS in early 1996. At the time, the property included an old 3-storey stone house, with 8 bedrooms (!) and 5 bathrooms. It sounds like this house was subsequently demolished.

The land registry shows that the present owner purchased the property in July 1997. Apparently, for whatever reasons, he is content to sit on it without developing it.

The property includes a large part of the hillside area to the west. It is just over 3 acres in size.

The city maps link I posted allows you to see property lines, and in most cases building outlines (including demolished structures, if nothing's replaced it) The lot for 10 Hedgewood shows a large structure overlapping the west property line, encroaching into (what looks to be) a seperate lot formed in the crotch of all those diverging parcels.

The street also shows two large, new, homes (one constructed, one being constructed) so it stands to reason that this lot was intended to suffer the same fate (probably first subdivided into two lots)

#2, #4 and #20 are heritage properties:

#2: House, 1974; Peter Hamilton Architect.
#4: The Highlands, 1914
#20: Pinewood/Jarvis Residence
STYLE: Colonial Revival
CONSTRUCTION: Stucco clad exterior; wood is the principle material for windows, dormers and front entrance detailing; roof is covered in contemporary asphalt simulating Cedar shake.
DESIGN: 2-1/2 storey; broad rectangular plan; high-pitched truncated hipped roof with flared, overextended eaves; 6-ranked nearly symmetrical facade; 4-ranked arched dormers; white stucco exterior; Georgian inspired 12/12 sash windows on ground floor; 8/8 sash on second floor; 8/8 sash at dormers; black louvred shutters; elegant wooden front portico has engaged columns on either side of recessed entry integrated with sidelights and round-headed pediment.
HISTORIC ASSOCIATIONS: Built for Stewart R. Jarvis and his wife Evelyn Guthrie at the beginning of this century. Jarvis was partner with the firm of J.L. Goad & Company located at 293 Bay Street in Toronto. As stockbrokers, the firm dealt primarily with government, municipal and corporate bonds. Jarvis was a member the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in addition to other social organizations.
DEVELOPMENT: Pinewood represents a phase in North York's development having to do with the construction of historical Revivals in the York Mills/Yonge Street area and along Bayview Avenue in the 1920s and 30s. Many of these large, architect-designed houses were built and occupied by members of the Canadian establishment along with other successful individuals who made significant contributions to the Canadian economy. Pinewood is among the more elegant Revival houses along Hedgewood Road (formerly Pinewood Avenue). (emphasis mine)

Thanks

Yes. It is 10 Hedgwood Road. I just took a walk and there is an old sign indicating it is 10 Hedgewood Road.
It is quite sad-it is such a beautiful field and he is content with not using it, but I am rather glad-it makes quite the picnic spot.
I talked with a neighbor and she let it slip that the owner moved away some where but is not accepting any offers on the lot.
I am very thankful for you doing all this research but I am just wondering-where did you get this information?
Is there a link to some site?
And are there any pictures of what this house was in the past?
Again-thanks a lot!

I'm sorry but-how did you get all of this information on this house? I have searched the web for hours but still couldn't find anything.
Could you give me a link?

Karnipa, as already mentioned you cannot expect an "instant" answer, although I too am now a bit curious. If you seriously want an answer, wait until at least a few people have seen your enquiry.

Do you have a street number for this property? If not, do you have the street numbers of the properties to the north and to the south? If so, I might, repeat might, be able to come up with some info.

Yes. It is 10 Hedgwood Road.
If you find anything please leave me a link.
Thanks.

The city maps link I posted allows you to see property lines, and in most cases building outlines (including demolished structures, if nothing's replaced it) The lot for 10 Hedgewood shows a large structure overlapping the west property line, encroaching into (what looks to be) a seperate lot formed in the crotch of all those diverging parcels.

The street also shows two large, new, homes (one constructed, one being constructed) so it stands to reason that this lot was intended to suffer the same fate (probably first subdivided into two lots)

#2, #4 and #20 are heritage properties:

#2: House, 1974; Peter Hamilton Architect.
#4: The Highlands, 1914
#20: Pinewood/Jarvis Residence
STYLE: Colonial Revival
CONSTRUCTION: Stucco clad exterior; wood is the principle material for windows, dormers and front entrance detailing; roof is covered in contemporary asphalt simulating Cedar shake.
DESIGN: 2-1/2 storey; broad rectangular plan; high-pitched truncated hipped roof with flared, overextended eaves; 6-ranked nearly symmetrical facade; 4-ranked arched dormers; white stucco exterior; Georgian inspired 12/12 sash windows on ground floor; 8/8 sash on second floor; 8/8 sash at dormers; black louvred shutters; elegant wooden front portico has engaged columns on either side of recessed entry integrated with sidelights and round-headed pediment.
HISTORIC ASSOCIATIONS: Built for Stewart R. Jarvis and his wife Evelyn Guthrie at the beginning of this century. Jarvis was partner with the firm of J.L. Goad & Company located at 293 Bay Street in Toronto. As stockbrokers, the firm dealt primarily with government, municipal and corporate bonds. Jarvis was a member the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in addition to other social organizations.
DEVELOPMENT: Pinewood represents a phase in North York's development having to do with the construction of historical Revivals in the York Mills/Yonge Street area and along Bayview Avenue in the 1920s and 30s. Many of these large, architect-designed houses were built and occupied by members of the Canadian establishment along with other successful individuals who made significant contributions to the Canadian economy. Pinewood is among the more elegant Revival houses along Hedgewood Road (formerly Pinewood Avenue). (emphasis mine)

I am extremly intrested in where you found all this information.
If you could kindly give me the link or somewhat I'd be satisfied.
When was this house demolished?

With that attitude, it's a bit unfortunate that people have already responded with information. Oh well.

Heritage properties can be found here: http://app.toronto.ca/heritage/main.do

I've always found the houses on Hedgewood rather disappointing, compared to nearby streets, anyway. There's no way I'd ever spend so much on an empty lot ($2M? $3M? More?) when spectacular houses already exist in the neighbourhood and are guaranteed to be nicer than whatever gets built at 10 Hedgewood. It's quite a shame that so many houses in the area are being unrecognizably renovated (if memory serves me correctly, the house at the corner of Beechwood & Hedgewood sold for ~$1.7M and is being altered) or replaced with McMansions...until recently, this area had some of the most varied housing stock in the whole city, but the quantity of mini Versailles increases annually. There's a few houses under construction in the area that I'm eager to see finished, including an interesting Modernist house at 3 Hedgewood.

I don't recall ever seeing a photo tour of the 'greater Hogg's Hollow' slash old Yonge/York Mills area, but it would totally be worth it. I don't have house numbers handy, but perhaps I tinker with the link TKTKTK provided to list the most interesting houses (Bayview Ridge/Highland probably has the highest proportion of them). Masochistic anti-Cheddingtonistas will want to check out Oakley Place, or maybe Valley Road or Doon.

I'm sorry but-how did you get all of this information on this house? I have searched the web for hours but still couldn't find anything.
Could you give me a link?

Karnipa, if, as you state, you've been patient and willing to spend hours on the internet searching for information to no avail, and in the meantime individuals on here have gone to the trouble of getting some answers for you on their own time in such a short space of time since your original post, re-posting every few minutes asking where they got the information from is being unreasonable, especially given your brusque manner early on in the forum.
I can understand how frustrating it must be not having much success finding the information you're looking for when you obviously feel very passionate about it, but patience, courtesy and appreciation are key here.
As my Mum always reminds me, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...:)

Back