1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 866     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Yonge and Sheppard new retail.

E

Ed007Toronto

Noticed a large coming soon sign on the northwest corner of Yonge and Sheppard. Some three storey or so retail type development. Anybody have any info on this?

Didn't AoD post a city report for a similar project some time back? I can't seem to find it, but if memory serves...

That lot is an eyesore, a de-facto dumping ground. Every time I walk by it on my way home it seems to get worse.

Yonge & Sheppard will change dramatically when the three empty corners are filled in.

If its three stories, I am sure it will be temporary and stucco clad. That corner is crying out for a tall building with high density.

^ But maybe only if they can acquire TTC bus terminal and the McDonald's building to the north.

New retail for Yonge and Sheppard.

The site is owned by the TTC and to be leased. The city requires a commercial office tower on site, however there is no demand and so they are planning to lease the site for about 20 years to a temporary business. They found that setting out a lease for 10 or 15 years would earn them a poor rate of return as even a best buy or tim hortons wants some minimum time commitments before it builds it's temporary box/parking lot.
I'd prefer housing with retail base as there is no guarantee that the market will be prime for office construction in 20 years when the lease expires either. This means that the intersection of the 2 subway lines will be a density vaccum for decades to come.

The rendering looked pretty glassy. I don't know whether that's an authoritative rendering, though.

Back