News   Sep 06, 2024
 514     0 

Snow emergency — what snow emergency?

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/snow/emergency.htm

"Toronto Transportation may declare a snow emergency when a significant amount of snow falls within an eight hour period. During a snow emergency, it is illegal to park or stop on a snow route. A fine and towing may result."

Has this ever happen this year? The Toronto web site says nothing. The streetcars (which are on snow routes) get blocked, but the cars don't get towed.

They must do a better job of announcing a snow emergency, and actually enforce it.

There was a story I think with the last storm where city officials mentioned they don't enforce that rule as much as they should. I think I remember a storm earlier this year where they did mention no parking or stopping on some high-priority snow routes.

I think a snow route should be a snow route after any snow event, regardless of being announced. This way it'd avoid any confusion of when you can or when you can't.. and you'd save the plowers a few headaches.

Tuesday November 27, 2007
Toronto - Mother Nature will soon be playing a bigger role in Toronto’s winter maintenance.

CFRB has learned that Transportation Services is trying to cut back on their 65 million dollar budget by making some reductions to their services - on top of the cost containment measures already in place.

Right now, snow removal starts after eight centimetres are on the ground, and the snow has stopped. Side streets are usually plowed within 15-25 hours after the storm, and sidewalks within 48 hours.

But Gary Welsh, general manager of Transportation Services says things are about to change slightly, as they try to cut back on their 65 million dollar operating budget.

“We’re going to analyze each storm before it comes and make decisions during the storm to see if maybe there are certain services that we do not have to provide, because probably over the next day, it’ll get a lot warmer, the sun will come out, and Mother Nature does her thing about melting the snow instead of us having to clear the snow.â€

Welsh says it was really a choice of where they could afford to cut - summer maintenance like pothole repair or winter maintenance, and they decided it wasn’t possible to cut back on road repair. He adds the service reductions are fairly minor.

“Probably the public will not notice. We feel that if it’s really managed well, we can save some money, meet Council’s cost containment objectives, and really not discomfort the general public to a great degree.
Welsh says the action should shave about five million dollars from their 65 million dollar operating budget.

Source CFRB1010

---------------------------------------

Mother Nature can be a bitch sometimes.

This weekend, I witnessed multiple backups of 501 Queen due to cars parked too close to the tracks. One of the times I was on the streetcar that got stuck, and we actually waited for the owner of the car to show up, as traffic backed up behind us. Fortunately, it only took 5-10 minutes, but I was stunned that no move seemed to be made to get the car towed immediately, which I would think would be only reasonable.

Maybe they should replace the current snow route signs with LEDs that flash "NO PARKING" or "NO STOPPING" when needed. Or at least have the parking meters along those streets flash "SNOW EMERGENCY, NO PARKING", and reject accepting payments.

But the people parking on the street are clearly far more important than those on the streetcars. Why should an important person like me with a nice car be towed just because 60 or 70 poor losers are waiting in a streetcar? My tax dollars pay for their streetcars, they should work hard like I did and buy a BMW so they can park wherever they like.

I've never understood the point of the Snow Route. I've lived on or near Gerrard for 5 winters now. Not once has the city declared a snow emergency and put the snow routes in effect. If they were to do, then they could stop people parking on the street car routes for long enough for the snow to be removed, and get rid of the parking on the tracks issue.

I've been wondering for a while now why they don't bother using this tool - and how much snow it would take for a snow emergency to be declared.

Perfect time to talk about SNOW!

I've never understood the point of the Snow Route. I've lived on or near Gerrard for 5 winters now. Not once has the city declared a snow emergency and put the snow routes in effect. If they were to do, then they could stop people parking on the street car routes for long enough for the snow to be removed, and get rid of the parking on the tracks issue.

I've been wondering for a while now why they don't bother using this tool - and how much snow it would take for a snow emergency to be declared.

With 25° temperatures today, Thanksgiving, October 13th, it is a perfect time to talk about SNOW!

Last year, 2007, the city handled the snow emergencies (plural) as if there was no snow emergency. If there were announcements, I didn't hear or see it.

Cars parked on snow routes, blocking traffic and streetcars. There is a city by-law, Offence No. 11, Park more than 30 cm from curb ($15.00). That's CURB, not snowbank! How many got a $15.00 ticket for parking more than 30 cm from the curb?

I hope that this year, enforcement of the snow routes will be just that, enforced! And make a better attempt to announce snow emergencies, on radio, television, and the highway message displays. How about including the parking meters by flashing a SNOW EMERGENCY, NO PARKING message on the displays, instead of just accepting payment.

How about including the parking meters by flashing a SNOW EMERGENCY, NO PARKING message on the displays, instead of just accepting payment.
The problem is that the city hasn't declared a snow emergency, automatically banning parking on snow routes, for years.

It's not the communication which is the issue, it's the policy.

They must do a better job of announcing a snow emergency, and actually enforce it.

They could also do a better job removing snow as well. Just letting snow pile up along curbs is a recipe for traffic mayhem on busy streets or transit routes.

“We’re going to analyze each storm before it comes and make decisions during the storm to see if maybe there are certain services that we do not have to provide, because probably over the next day, it’ll get a lot warmer, the sun will come out, and Mother Nature does her thing about melting the snow instead of us having to clear the snow.â€

I love this quote. It's a wordy way of saying "we'll wait 'till tomorrow."

Back