News   Mar 28, 2024
 271     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     0 

Dufferin and Bloor Developments?

West End Boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know if re-development still being planned for the school properties at Bloor and Dufferin (Kent Sr. PS, Bloor Collegiate Institute, the old Ursula Franklin now the temporary Royal Conservatory)?

I had heard a few years ago that the two active schools would be merged and housed in the old Ursula Franklin building, allowing re-development on the more valuable BCI and Kent properties which front onto Bloor and Dufferin. I know that Dufferin Mall has always eyed an expansion up to Bloor St.

I live nearby and have always thought there is tremendous opportunity here for transit (expanded TTC station for surface routes...currently the bus situation here is a mess!) and public space (a public square right at the corner...used to be the site of winter skating long ago) as well as housing and more retail to lift up the neighbourhood.

Any tips or info would be appreciated!

From Inside Toronto: Major Bloor-Dufferin redevelopment in works

http://www.insidetoronto.com/commun...--major-bloor-dufferin-redevelopment-in-works

It looks as though the parcel they will select for development will be north of Croatia and East of the school on Brock Avenue, which would be redeveloped into a single large school serving all the education needs for the TDSB. The field on Brock south of Croatia would stay, while the fields north of Croatia will be developed. Of course this is subject to change and debate.

I hope the TDSB changes it's mind and saves Kent - the original building is the only decent one in the block. Brock looks like a typical 50's-era school/prison for children.

Actually, as of now there are plans to save the Kent school building. It is beautiful. They want to replace the tennis court and parking lot that front Bloor with a square and save the Kent building somehow. I think it will be difficult, but I hope they can save the building.

They should also save the Art Deco part of Bloor Collegiate. Look at this stone entrance:

I've only seen the lobby, but it, too, has an Art Deco style. The rest of the building has its merits, too. Those distinctive windows with a contrasting scale and the subtle Art Deco setbacks give it an almost temple-like appearance.

To even suggest that this building and Kent would come down is a travesty.

Though Bloor Collegiate is less coherent an overall entity than Kent School--therefore in its case, I can more likely see a "salvaged details" rather than "total preservation" solution. (But I agree that to trash *everything* there is shortsighted.)

There is a community meeting this Thursday about the redevelopment of Kent/Bloor CI/Brockton. The move of Bloor CI into the old Brockton building is slated for September 2015. So it sounds like their plans are progressing.

http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/bloorci/Parents.aspx

from what i hear, they're looking for a high rise tower on the corner and a brockton with minimal field. they're hoping to not put money into brockton for the students moving in, putting out all the tenants (foodshare, others):mad:, and putting the sales proceeds into general revenue. no greens because they get more money. they're going to say dufferin grove is right over there, they have no obligation to provide greens. no need to provide ttc infrastructure because ttc just redid the north entrances and built a new exit.

they think city planning and local councillor will be looking the other way and ignoring any opposition because subway station and across from a tall retirement building and bailao is developer-friendly.

there are no plans to retain anything of the kent or bloor building, but they think they will use it as a negotiating tactic with the city and community, we'll retain some features, you give us the height we want. :rolleyes::mad:

they'll say they're just putting the site up for sale at the public meeting and don't have plans. don't buy what they're selling. only people with deep enough pockets to buy that site is a developer or reit. they know this. they're trying to get this in before enrolment turns around in 5 to 10 years time and they need the schools again. from what i've been told the toronto lands company budget is based on the income they generate. the more they sell and lease, the more budget they get. sketchy?

the school board thinks it can play hardball, lol. :p

from what i hear, they're looking for a high rise tower on the corner and a brockton with minimal field. they're hoping to not put money into brockton for the students moving in, putting out all the tenants (foodshare, others):mad:, and putting the sales proceeds into general revenue. no greens because they get more money. they're going to say dufferin grove is right over there, they have no obligation to provide greens. no need to provide ttc infrastructure because ttc just redid the north entrances and built a new exit.

they think city planning and local councillor will be looking the other way and ignoring any opposition because subway station and across from a tall retirement building and bailao is developer-friendly.

there are no plans to retain anything of the kent or bloor building, but they think they will use it as a negotiating tactic with the city and community, we'll retain some features, you give us the height we want. :rolleyes::mad:

they'll say they're just putting the site up for sale at the public meeting and don't have plans. don't buy what they're selling. only people with deep enough pockets to buy that site is a developer or reit. they know this. they're trying to get this in before enrolment turns around in 5 to 10 years time and they need the schools again. from what i've been told the toronto lands company budget is based on the income they generate. the more they sell and lease, the more budget they get. sketchy?

the school board thinks it can play hardball, lol. :p

Who is "they"? The TDSB? Wouldn't it be the developer who ends up buying the land that would try to do all this? The TDSB would just sell the land, possibly with some conditions attached.

There was another community meeting held April 7th 2014, the site is definitely being sold and from what I understand other public entities (school boards/government dept) have until April 18th to submit bids, and that private companies can purchase the property as soon as April 19th.

Councillor Ana Bailao attended and spoke at the meeting, here's a link to her website that includes her update on the site:

http://www.anabailao.com/bloor_dufferin_school_lands_update

Basically it sounds like there is a small green space guaranteed as part of the proposal, which she is trying to (unsuccessfully I think) increase in size by buying the land on Croatia St south of the green space where an 8 story tower is proposed. She and city council/planning department are also making it clear to developers etc they do not support the proposed heights (30 stories is the tallest on the corner of Dufferin and Bloor, I think its 22 at Croatia and Dufferin and 28 on Bloor) of the buildings proposed. They are also making it clear that Kent is a heritage site that must be preserved, and will be moving to designate parts of Bloor CI heritage asap. She said the tallest buildings on Bloor are currently 16 stories or so and indicated they wouldn't go past that here.

Get in touch with her and voice your opinions, I think she has been pretty on the ball on this one for a while and can use our support. i for one am advocating for a off leash dog park on the site.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with putting a 30 storey building at Dufferin and Bloor. This is just typical fear mongering about height from Bailao, cynically pandering to the selfish NIMBY's of the neighbourhood.

Back