970     3 

Waterfront: General Topics

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Post:

The future 'jewel' of Toronto's waterfront
Posted: February 01, 2008, 10:04 PM by Barry Hertz

Peter Kuitenbrouwer continues his series about the rich history and future promise of our region’s great shore.

John Campbell, chief executive of Waterfront Toronto, has taken a wrong turn in the vast field of mud that is the West Don Lands, an area from Cherry Street to the Don River, between Eastern Avenue and the Canadian National Railway tracks. His silver Acura is heading into tracks too rutted for a sedan. With guidance from a worker, Mr. Campbell backs up, and we are soon back on the gravel trail that leads through this 32-hectare development site.

Mr. Campbell is too adroit to let a little mud bog him down. For nearly five years he has navigated twists and turns, bumps and ruts, running an agency co-owned by the federal, provincial and city governments and mandated to transform the city’s waterfront.

Now Mr. Campbell, who, in his old job at Brookfield, piloted the BCE Place project, finally can offer a multi-stop tour of stuff happening on our water’s edge. “It was five years of planning, politics and approvals,†he says. But now the waterfront is finally transforming. “This is one of the largest infrastructure projects in North America. We’ve got four of the top 10 landscape architects in the world working with us right now.â€

Control over the destiny of 1,000 hectares by the lake gives him power, he boasts: “We’re the Saudi Arabia of OPEC. We have the swing to influence the marketplace.â€

One thing is clear: Decades after the biggest industries left the Toronto Port, the hand-wringing is over. Shovels and cranes, barges and bulldozers are at work. This week, as I reached downtown Toronto on my ongoing tour of the GTA waterfront, I got a treat: a front-row seat to one of the biggest games in town. The first big project is here in the West Don Lands. Everywhere spreads a clay and dirt tundra, spiked with what look like thousands of white teeth, jutting out at one-metre intervals. These wicks suck out moisture, which is then pumped from the site.

We pass a trench where a crew is laying a cement pipe on steel stilts. (In building the site, engineers discovered the city’s century-old sewer main could not withstand the earth they want to move here for a park. And so they are building a lower lever interceptor sewer). “This has taken us longer than expected,†says Mr. Campbell. “We thought we’d just build a berm and put a park on top, but it’s turned out to be a major engineering project.â€

We are a bit far from the waterfront, proper, but no one else knew what to do with the 32-hectare site, home to a failed Ontario project for affordable housing, so they gave it to Waterfront Toronto (known as Toronto Waterfront Redevelopment Corp. until last year). By 2010, the first of 6,000 dwellings (20% of them “affordableâ€) will open in the area, along with a nine-hectare park.

Mr. Campbell’s tour includes several other highlights:
• He shows where tugs are pushing a barge into position to finish setting piles for the Spadina Quay boardwalk.
• Next we stop at the foot of York Street, where WT built a gorgeous boardwalk with granite benches on the water’s edge.
• East of Redpath Sugar, we see cranes driving piles into the earth for the new headquarters of Corus Entertainment Inc., a $130-million, city-funded project with $9-million from WT.
• We stop at Cherry Beach, much cleaned and primped with Waterfront cash.
• East of the beach Mr. Campbell points out new sports fields, which will open this summer.

Some have criticized the process, asking about the secrecy of some deals. For years WT referred to the Corus deal as “Project Symphony, and its design review panel went “in-camera†in November to look at a plan for a George Brown College building next to Corus.

Eight years in, WT is nowhere on a plan to connect the city’s busiest bike path through Harbourfront, though it insists that will come. Two years ago, as WT expanded, Mr. Campbell moved the organization from Queens Quay Terminal to 20 Bay St., 13th floor, into offices vacated by a failed dotcom. WT now employs 60, plus “lots of consultants and contractors.â€

Speaking in the WT boardroom, Mr. Campbell, affable, enthusiastic and confident, gulps three cups of coffee as he flips through a sweeping power point of his realm. A self-described “air force brat,†he retains a twang from his native Annapolis Valley, N.S.

“It’s really quite different from redevelopment,†he says of his challenge. “You don’t need a separate entity to peddle real estate on the waterfront. How do we build quality of place that attracts, as Richard Florida says, the best and the brightest? We want people to point to Toronto as a sustainable city, not Stockholm. But we don’t want to build enclaves for the super-rich on the water’s edge, like Melbourne or Sydney.â€

Mr. Campbell says he has learned from the mistakes of the past, such as failing to consult dog-walkers and others before announcing changes at Cherry Beach. He boasts of 60 consultations a year. But as the deals begin to fly fast and furious, a key test will be whether this group has the fortitude to stick to its design principles, even at the risk of seeing some developers walk away.

On public land, Waterfront Toronto has power to use contracts with builders to direct use. Mr. Campbell says his group will avoid the wall of ugly condos that plague Harbourfront, and instead allow mainly low-rise housing, up to 10 floors. Over 25 to 30 years, this group will permit 40,000 residential units and 10-million-square-feet of employment space. All the buildings must qualify for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold, based on quality of insulation, green roofs and other factors.

As WT sells land, proceeds will fund further projects. So far, Mr. Campbell estimates his group has spent $200-million. Waterfront Toronto plans to bankroll new streetcar lines on Queens Quay East and down Cherry Street. The corporation also seeks partners to install “ultra-broadband, open access†Internet service to all new buildings, and to build a $200-million power plant that will heat and cool all the new office and apartment buildings. City staff right now is studying vacuum waste, a Swedish idea Mr. Campbell wants to bring here.

He also wants non-profits to pitch ideas for affordable housing: “Maybe it’s the Latvian Seniors Society or the Anglican diocese,†he suggests. As he strolls down the boardwalk WT designed and built south of Queens Quay Terminal, the morning sun sparkling on Lake Ontario, Mr. Campbell’s voice fills with promise.

“Can you iagine in 30 or 40 years out, the mid-rise and the high-rise and the boardwalks and the cafés? It’s going to be a jewel for the future of Toronto.â€

AoD

The waterfront is one of the few, if not the only, neighbourhoods in central Toronto that I would not live in. It's too new and feels like a subdivision. It's isolated from the rest of the city, there are not enough quiet streets to stroll through, and it literally has the wettest, windiest, foggiest, dreariest weather in the GTA.

I live and work (well if you count the island as the waterfront...) on the waterfront and have so far enjoyed it quite a bit. My girlfriend especially loves living across from HtO park, where she went at some point everyday during the summer. It's also great living near the Dome, making it easy to decide at the last second if we want to go to a Jays game. I think there is a lot of potential, as there are a number of empty storefronts under condos especially between Rees and Bathurst, but I think once the City Place projects are completed it should spur some more commercial development.

Yes it's cold because of the water, but it's quite nice to look out your window and see a couple dozen ducks, geese and swans sitting in the water outside your building. I find that it's just as - if not more windier - at Yonge and College than it is at QQ and Spadina.

I think if the QQ conversion to two lanes happens, it'll make the area seem more "stroll-able." I think there is a lot of potential in the waterfront plan, but I wish they would have had the foresight to use the CN Tower as the catalyst for development and planning 30 years ago. The opportunity to create a premiere tourism experience that incorporated the waterfront and tower is forever lost. The tower now is just that. It's not like the Eiffel tower with any sort of beautiful lead up to it, or anything worth seeing/doing around it.

This topic probably could go in the neighbourhood thread though if this is the direction its going, and not directly about the Waterfront Plan.

I think if the QQ conversion to two lanes happens, it'll make the area seem more "stroll-able." I think there is a lot of potential in the waterfront plan, but I wish they would have had the foresight to use the CN Tower as the catalyst for development and planning 30 years ago. The opportunity to create a premiere tourism experience that incorporated the waterfront and tower is forever lost. The tower now is just that. It's not like the Eiffel tower with any sort of beautiful lead up to it, or anything worth seeing/doing around it.

There is the Steamwhistle brewery, the convention centre, the ACC, and Skydome, which provide something to do, but with the exception of the microbrewery most of it consists of pricey events that aren't happening at any given time. It could have been a lot more, but there were still the challenges of a lot of industry, including the waterfront of silos and warehouses.

Spadina Slip Bridge

Anyone know when we will see renderings for the proposed bridge spanning the entrance to Spadina Slip?

Mr. Campbell says he has learned from the mistakes of the past, such as failing to consult dog-walkers and others before announcing changes at Cherry Beach. He boasts of 60 consultations a year. But as the deals begin to fly fast and furious, a key test will be whether this group has the fortitude to stick to its design principles, even at the risk of seeing some developers walk away.

Good point about the CN Tower, but then again that would require long-term vision and planning which is fairly rare and ineffective in Toronto where they spend more time bogged down 'consulting' dog walkers and other specialty interest groups about city plans than actually looking at bigger issues, and more money placating the same than actually investing in urban planning and infrastructure. Where the vote goes, so does the money and time!

of course. Let's face it - Democracy is a horrible thing for cities. Imagine Paris if Haussmann wasn't given free-reign. I mean ya it sucked for the people it affected at the time, but that's such short-sightedness, and the city benefits exponentially today from those changes.

There is the Steamwhistle brewery, the convention centre, the ACC, and Skydome, which provide something to do, but with the exception of the microbrewery most of it consists of pricey events that aren't happening at any given time. It could have been a lot more, but there were still the challenges of a lot of industry, including the waterfront of silos and warehouses.

Those aren't even close to what I would have loved to see. I've worked for the city's tourism department, and none of those things are on the radar of the ordinary traveller. Even today, the land around the tower is poorly developed. There's some sort of garden-y thing below it and a fountain, but other than that, you might as well use the front st entrance cause there's nothing there for any tourist. The experience around the Tower is quite underwhelming from tourists I've talked to.

of course. Let's face it - Democracy is a horrible thing for cities. Imagine Paris if Haussmann wasn't given free-reign.

Fair enough. But then we also have to consider horrific monstrosities like Romanian dictator Ceauşescu's "Palace of the People" which was built at the expense of one quarter of Bucharest's old city, destroying dozens of churches and synagogues and thousands of homes -- at a time when the majority of the population was living in abject poverty, no less.

parliament5.jpg

of course. Let's face it - Democracy is a horrible thing for cities. Imagine Paris if Haussmann wasn't given free-reign. I mean ya it sucked for the people it affected at the time, but that's such short-sightedness, and the city benefits exponentially today from those changes.

"There is nobody opposed to jn_12's argument...NOBODY, NOBODY, NOBODY...except a bunch...a bunch of MOTHERS!"

jane%20jacobs.jpg

that was said with just a hint of tongue-in-cheek. Should I have added a smilie to make sure it wasn't taken out of context?

Plans for waterfront should be at the forefront
Nov 07, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

Despite fears of a recession, officials insist waterfront revitalization will carry on.

Though there's still little to see and admire, huge sums are now being spent to build the infrastructure that eventually will support up to 100,000 residents.

So far, the 21st century has not shown much interest in the city's infrastructure, which is hardly surprising. Sewers, ducts, cables, and pipes – we'd like to believe we have better and sexier things to worry about.

This isn't true, of course, and it's one of the big reasons many believe the future stinks.

Waterfront revitalization is important to Toronto; this is where the city will be completed, where it will assume its final form and realize its urban potential.

Until next year, however, most of the work will continue behind the hoardings that now seem to line Queens Quay E. The most obvious example is the giant wooden wall that went up recently south of Queens Quay, east of Jarvis St., and the Corus building site, a precinct called the East Bayfront. Behind it, unseen, construction of what's optimistically called "base municipal services" is underway.

This means George Brown College can build its new medical sciences faculty, recreation centre and student residence. It will also allow for the construction of Sherbourne Park and Sugar Beach.

Farther east, where King St. joins Queen St. and crosses the Don River, an elaborate earthmoving exercise has been in progress for more than a year. Because the site, the West Don Lands, sits in a flood plain, engineers have been struggling to drain the ground and compact the soil. Once the ground has settled, in three or four months, Don River Park will be installed atop this new landform. It is already designed and should start to take shape next fall.

Also in the works are a new residential community, Parkside, on the northeast corner of Queens Quay and Sherbourne St., as well as Sherbourne Park, which will extend north from the lake.

Next week, the developers chosen to do the first projects on the West Don Lands will present preliminary designs to the waterfront design review panel.

At the same time, the George Brown proposal will go before the city's executive committee for approval.

"Funding is not an issue," says Marisa Piattelli, Waterfront Toronto's vice-president of government relations and communications. "We are funded to deliver the East Bayfront, the West Don Lands and the Central Waterfront. They are all part of the original $1.5 billion committed to the corporation ... by the three levels of government."

The trouble will start later, when that money has been spent and the agency needs more cash. Keep in mind that it wasn't given the power to borrow money, so it must depend on those federal and provincial cheques that always seem to be in the mail.

In the meantime, the corporation should start to generate revenue once the developers move in. Next year, the first residential units in the West Don Lands will go on sale. Construction begins in 2010.

Hovering over the whole project, literally and figuratively, is the Gardiner Expressway. The fate of the raised highway remains undecided even though building around it will soon get going in earnest. The longer we delay, the more problematic demolition will become. But in truth it's unlikely that the Gardiner will be torn down, even just the portion east of Jarvis St., which is the most timid of the various options.

By the time Torontonians and their leaders wake up to the benefits of dismantling the Gardiner, it will be too late. As the towers come, opportunities go.

Source

Back